Type 2 Liquid Metformin

SlyFox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Food
ALERT: My health board have started the process to withdraw liquid Metformin from prescription, why I dont know.

Alarm bells rang and I told them about my concerns as detailed earlier. I spoke to the PHARMASCIST and even they did not notice that Mannitol is as bad as Macrogol! Maybe Pharmacy is too big a subject for one mind to hold all the details.

I was offered and took, on the agreement it was a trial, a set of Metformin Powders from Morningside Healthcare Ltd.

This formulation has the following excipients in it as found here;

Mannitol <--------------- Eyes rolling
Povidone
Sucralose (E955)
Sodium dihydrogen citrate
Citric acid anhydrous

The first one (Mannitol) is an Osmotic Laxative. So I got back onto my GP and said what is the point of going back on a formualtion that has a laxitive in it when I was taken off of a formulation that had laxitive in it! TBH the presciptions lady at my surgery was fantatic, no quibble.

Click on the Mannitol link above and scroll down to the Drugs for constipation section and, ta da! all of those are problem substances htat you dont want in your drugs if you cant tollerate metformin because of chronic Diarrhoea

My advice is: Print off a list and give them to your GP AND Pharmacist and say thoses things are not acceptable.

So I am now 'registered' as intollerant of the new powder and can have my liquid metformin back again!

I hope this information helps!

• Informative
Reactions: Pipp