List of irritating Animas Vibe features - please contribute! :-)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Loses IOB data when you change the reservoir (right)? And definitely when you change the battery.

Good way to cause a potentially fatal hypo. :-(

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interrupting the reservoir change operation to warn me "pump is not primed". Well, duh! What exactly does it think I am in the middle of doing??

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same load of bloody useless alarms going off while I'm driving. How about a "driving mode" where the pump will stfu unless there is a major issue like a hypo alarm or a total failure? I am a lot more likely to die trying to deactivate some pointless alarm while driving than I am because the "check BG" or "under 50 units" alarm has gone off.

How about a car kit to hold the pump?

How about the OK button has some bumps on it so I can find it by feel and cancel alarms without having to fish my pump out and look?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basically the Vibe and all pumps need Nokia style "profiles" you can use to configure how sounds and alarms etc work in different situations. Eg asleep, driving, at work, in a meeting.

Instead of the "ability" to tweak each individual alarm, which is basically useless. Yes, I'm going into a half hour meeting, I will fish my pump out and spend 2 or 3 minutes tweaking down every alarm setting before I go in. Then do the same when the meeting is over. And before and after I get in my car. And before and after I get into bed.

It wouldn't annoy me so much if these problems hadn't been solved 20 years ago on mobile phones.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@Spiker are you by any chance alarming? :p:D
The 50 unit alarm is easy to fix just change the quantity to 10 units problem solved.
Sit the pump on your lap whilst driving button can be felt quite easily then. Must admit I very rarely have a pump alarm go off. Most frequent is the low blood sugar.

iHs

Same load of bloody useless alarms going off while I'm driving. How about a "driving mode" where the pump will stfu unless there is a major issue like a hypo alarm or a total failure? I am a lot more likely to die trying to deactivate some pointless alarm while driving than I am because the "check BG" or "under 50 units" alarm has gone off.

How about the OK button has some bumps on it so I can find it by feel and cancel alarms without having to fish my pump out and look?

A car GripGo works really well with an insulin pump as long as 100cm tube is used lol

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The 50 unit alarm is easy to fix just change the quantity to 10 units problem solved.
Sit the pump on your lap whilst driving button can be felt quite easily then. Must admit I very rarely have a pump alarm go off. Most frequent is the low blood sugar.
Changing the point the alarm goes off doesn't really reduce the chances of it going off while driving much, and greatly increases the **** ache involved if it does. Yes I do sit the pump in my lap at times. Not sure the police would approve.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Changing the point the alarm goes off doesn't really reduce the chances of it going off while driving much, and greatly increases the **** ache involved if it does. Yes I do sit the pump in my lap at times. Not sure the police would approve.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A car GripGo works really well with an insulin pump as long as 100cm tube is used lol
Thanks Sally. Is it really possible to get 100cm tubing? How much insulin do you lose in priming that?

H

Hooked

Only time I hear an alarm is when I'm down to 20 units, which rarely happens, thank goodness.

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
I chose the Animas Vibe for its ability to integrate with the Dexcom CGM and also because it was waterproof and I still like it for all its faults, but Animas Vibe 2 will hopefully have pre-filled cartridges or a see-through window in the pump so that you can detect any air bubbles without having to remove the cartridge from the pump unnecessarily and also a quicker way to get to 'Status' without all the scrolling.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I chose the Animas Vibe for its ability to integrate with the Dexcom CGM and also because it was waterproof and I still like it for all its faults, but Animas Vibe 2 will hopefully have pre-filled cartridges or a see-through window in the pump so that you can detect any air bubbles without having to remove the cartridge from the pump unnecessarily and also a quicker way to get to 'Status' without all the scrolling.
I sincerely hope they do not go down the prefilled cartridge route, unless ordinary pen cartridges go in the pump. If they do a bespoke cartridge with analogue insulin in it then I will not be able to use the pump as allergic to analogue insulin's
I've only ever had bubbles once in the 7 years I've been pumping and that was my fault. Very simple basic technique stops any bubbles forming. Simple check for bubbles though is check your tubing by holding it over some darker clothing.
There's one button push to get to status! :)