1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Liver and blood sugar

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by UsmanMo96, Oct 29, 2019.

1. UsmanMo96

UsmanMo96 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've mentioned before I have a fatty liver & I've probably have had a high atl for 3 years now, my question is I've asked my doctor whether its causing me to have higher than usual blood sugar levels but she told me to not worry. I'm losing weight I've lost 1.5kg already. I just want more motivation since my low carb isn't helping morning blood sugar levels I know something about "dawn phenomenon" but I eat around 6pm and I wake up around 8am so its upsetting to see my blood sugar levels in the 9-10 range. I'm just thinking whether the fat around the liver may effect the blood sugar levels.

2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Fatty liver and Insulin Resistance go together. Improve the fatty liver and given time the glucose readings will improve. As to Dawn Phenomena, this is not set in stone, stress, poor sleep, infection etc can affect it. And it is not always at dawn, it can happen at any time of the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. UsmanMo96

I'm having another liver profile check done soon, my atl was 166 in August, so ideally I hope to see an improvement, I've cut out fruit and drinks and starting low carb so hopefully my numbers come down. As far as my hba1c % its 62 and I'm having that checked too I'm definitely hoping for a improvement I've lost 1.5kg so let's see.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

It has been shown that fatty liver can start to improve very quickly (sometimes within just a few days) after changes in dietary intake. Cutting down on carbs especially fructose can only help your liver. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. UsmanMo96

Thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook