Type 1 Logistics of Swimming with Type1 - help!

xxrubywxx_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All

Needing to get back into some sort of exercise routine and healthy eating etc. want to lower my HbA1c as it’s crept up.

I find the gym very boring and always loved swimming pre my diabetes diagnosis over 10 years ago. I remember losing my confidence in swimming as I remember thinking what I have hypo while I’m swimming and I don’t have my meter close by etc.

Fast forward 10 years I now wear a libre and I’m thinking about starting swimming again. Does anyone have any tips logistically speaking when it comes to checking them etc. do you leave your phone close by? I doubt it? Some advice would be really useful, really want to get my confidence back!

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Antje77

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my swim this morning. Swim 70 lengths and am in 45 minutes 3 times a week. I make sure I’m not too high/low when I go in, have jelly babies at the side of the pool and don’t worry about phone. It is in a bag with all my other diabetes stuff on the shelves at the end. It is often screaming at me when I get out to say levels are going above my 10 upper limit. I long ago switched signal loss alarm off. It drove me mad and I hate thinking it is controlling me.
I swim before breakfast, usually have a small amount of insulin as I always rise in the morning and the exercise shoots my levels up.
Experiment and see what works for you.
Get in and enjoy, it will do you good.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnEGreen

xxrubywxx_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just had my swim this morning. Swim 70 lengths and am in 45 minutes 3 times a week. I make sure I’m not too high/low when I go in, have jelly babies at the side of the pool and don’t worry about phone. It is in a bag with all my other diabetes stuff on the shelves at the end. It is often screaming at me when I get out to say levels are going above my 10 upper limit. I long ago switched signal loss alarm off. It drove me mad and I hate thinking it is controlling me.
I swim before breakfast, usually have a small amount of insulin as I always rise in the morning and the exercise shoots my levels up.
Experiment and see what works for you.
Get in and enjoy, it will do you good.

xxrubywxx_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Becca

Thanks for the advice an d encouragement I think I worry too much about minor things like taking my phone in for my alarm etc. when I shouldn’t care and do whatever makes me feel comfortable.

My BGs also spike a little in the mornings so my routine sounds very similar to you.

I too also turned signal loss off as the alarm kept going off way too much!

Thanks for responding really appreciate it