London to Paris in september

Turner90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am completed the London to Paris bike ride in september.. Is there any advice anyone can give me with regards to training?

I am type1 and currently a pump user.

Thanks
Lee

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi,
Good luck with your bike ride.

I'll bump your post up for replies.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll be interested in your experience of this as a pump user, I'm hoping to get one myself.

With regards to training, time on the bike is going to be key, you need to build yourself up to be able to spend 4-5 hours on the bike comfortably, maybe 4 stints of 90 mins each over a day.

Do you need to do a set mileage each day, or set duration? You need to be able to do at least one day at that really with no adverse effects the next day. I'd be looking to find an average speed I could do and still feel I could do more in one day. TRaining for speed is not going to help you, but as the nights draw out I'd be looking to get an hour on the bike several evenings a week and a long ride on Sundays and/or Sundays.

As for the diabetes management. my strategy on MDI for a long run/ride in the morning is
1) basal dose down from 3.5 to 1 unit (levemir)
2) Bolus down to 1 unit, just to keep the blood sugar moving into the muscles
3) test regularly - I've pushe it out to once every 45 mins on the bike, once every 5km running, but started at shorter intervals until I had an idea how I'd react
4) carbs, starting point would be about 60g per hour, mix of medium and high GI as you want to encourage fat burning over that distance - you can't take carbs in at the rate you expend them, buut need tome to keep the fat metabolism working as well, Eat about every 20-30 mins in small amounts tailored to your BG readings.

I've been thinking about how i would do this if I were on a pump and I think the right way would be to just turn the basal right down to the minimum and have no bolus while riding. You'll also need to reduce the bolus and basal in the evenings after each day as you will be eating to replenish glycogen and need to avoid hypos as the muscles and liver restock.

Taking my approach, my last long run went like this

Pre Breakfast 6.4, +1hour 14.3; 1U bolus, 1 U basal, 45g carbs for breakfast
5km 5.2, 20g carbs; - See how quickly it comes down, even on minimum insulin
10km 5.9, 20g carbs;
15km 5.8, 30g carbs;
21km 7.0, 25g carbs
Total 45+95 = 140g carbs;
Post run readings
+30min 9.3;
+70min 9.3
Pre lunch 7.0, 60g, 4x0.75=3U; - see how it's coem back down again, and note reduced bolus for lunch
+1hr, 3.8, 30g; - walking to the park with the kids, hypo averted, this is the delayed hypo effect
+2h 40, 4.6

Pope me a PM if you need any more info, I've got similar data from long rides, but the principle is the same either way

Reactions: 4 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am completed the London to Paris bike ride in september.. Is there any advice anyone can give me with regards to training?

I am type1 and currently a pump user.

Thanks
Lee

Awesome!
Take a look at http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Type_1_Case_Study.html - it gives advice on carbing/insulin dosing etc.
(Excellent advice above from ElyDave - reduce basal right down and don't bolus)
For more advice join FB Sporty Type 1 group, who have many of the TeamBG team who rode on the mHealth Grand Tour last year.
If you want to join TeamBG in the mHealth tour yourself, there will an opportunity to trial and take away the latest tech in BG monitoring during the ride!

lewisf94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Ahh yes sorry, how do you manage to take 1 unit of your fast acting? Does cycling work that well?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a 0.5 unit pen for it.

You would be amazed how much more sensitive you get when exercising, just look at the numbers above,

I went from 14.3 to 5.2 in 5km of running, that's about 25 minutes at that pace.

You get a similar effect when cycling, rowing etc.

Anaerobic exercise like weights or yoga has no effect on blood sugar with me.

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@ElyDave that was a great explanation, too bad im not a pump user

You might like to consider using a pump if you begin to exercise regularly, otherwise you will need to consider fiddling with basal injections (and also your bolusing).
I didn't understand your comment about one unit of fast acting - do you have a 0.5 unit pen?, if not it would be worth getting one. ElyDave is absolutely right that your insulin sensitivity will increase very quickly with exercise.

Team BG is going to be putting up a schedule of cycle rides before long - just fairly easy going rides across the UK. It might be worth keeping a look out, because if you can get along to one of those you can ask the advice of the other guys there. Might be a good environment for you to learn more, and share with others.

lewisf94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
You might like to consider using a pump if you begin to exercise regularly, otherwise you will need to consider fiddling with basal injections (and also your bolusing).
I didn't understand your comment about one unit of fast acting - do you have a 0.5 unit pen?, if not it would be worth getting one. ElyDave is absolutely right that your insulin sensitivity will increase very quickly with exercise.

Team BG is going to be putting up a schedule of cycle rides before long - just fairly easy going rides across the UK. It might be worth keeping a look out, because if you can get along to one of those you can ask the advice of the other guys there. Might be a good environment for you to learn more, and share with others.
I will look out for the guys :) i understand it will require alot of fiddling, im not denying the good control of pumps i just cant imagine it being there all the time :/ and nope my novorapid counts in 1's

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You could speak to your local healthcare professional/GP, and ask for a 0.5unit pen - you may find it useful because you can start really fine tuning your injections.
Another place to go - have you thought of joining FB Sporty Diabetic Type 1's? By the sounds of it you would benefit from joining the group. There's a load of advice and support out there for you, and that's another go-to place to ask questions and get some excellent advice.
Great you want to start getting active!

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'll be interested in your experience of this as a pump user, I'm hoping to get one myself.

With regards to training, time on the bike is going to be key, you need to build yourself up to be able to spend 4-5 hours on the bike comfortably, maybe 4 stints of 90 mins each over a day.

Do you need to do a set mileage each day, or set duration? You need to be able to do at least one day at that really with no adverse effects the next day. I'd be looking to find an average speed I could do and still feel I could do more in one day. TRaining for speed is not going to help you, but as the nights draw out I'd be looking to get an hour on the bike several evenings a week and a long ride on Sundays and/or Sundays.

As for the diabetes management. my strategy on MDI for a long run/ride in the morning is
1) basal dose down from 3.5 to 1 unit (levemir)
2) Bolus down to 1 unit, just to keep the blood sugar moving into the muscles
3) test regularly - I've pushe it out to once every 45 mins on the bike, once every 5km running, but started at shorter intervals until I had an idea how I'd react
4) carbs, starting point would be about 60g per hour, mix of medium and high GI as you want to encourage fat burning over that distance - you can't take carbs in at the rate you expend them, buut need tome to keep the fat metabolism working as well, Eat about every 20-30 mins in small amounts tailored to your BG readings.

I've been thinking about how i would do this if I were on a pump and I think the right way would be to just turn the basal right down to the minimum and have no bolus while riding. You'll also need to reduce the bolus and basal in the evenings after each day as you will be eating to replenish glycogen and need to avoid hypos as the muscles and liver restock.

Taking my approach, my last long run went like this

Pre Breakfast 6.4, +1hour 14.3; 1U bolus, 1 U basal, 45g carbs for breakfast
5km 5.2, 20g carbs; - See how quickly it comes down, even on minimum insulin
10km 5.9, 20g carbs;
15km 5.8, 30g carbs;
21km 7.0, 25g carbs
Total 45+95 = 140g carbs;
Post run readings
+30min 9.3;
+70min 9.3
Pre lunch 7.0, 60g, 4x0.75=3U; - see how it's coem back down again, and note reduced bolus for lunch
+1hr, 3.8, 30g; - walking to the park with the kids, hypo averted, this is the delayed hypo effect
+2h 40, 4.6

Pope me a PM if you need any more info, I've got similar data from long rides, but the principle is the same either way

Really great to see you've got such good control!
I've just suggested to lewisf94 to join FB Sporty Diabetic Type 1's, and if you're hoping to go onto a pump you might find that a useful group to join yourself especially if you have any questions. (Sorry if you're already a member!)
I also mentioned that Team Blood Glucose will shortly be announcing some UK wide cycle rides, just organised by volunteer TeamBG 'champions' - you might like to keep an eye out and join in with that too.
Keep up the great work!

lewisf94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Thanks bebo ill look em up on facebook! As for fine tuning, all i know is 1unit for 10 carb, very basic yes i imagine people know how 1 unit effects their bs and by how much?

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks bebo ill look em up on facebook! As for fine tuning, all i know is 1unit for 10 carb, very basic yes i imagine people know how 1 unit effects their bs and by how much?

Hi there lewisf94,
Have you tried doing a 'control' test to find this out? Others on the forum may like to offer their advice too, but a way I would suggest doing it is to wait until you have steady BGs (ideally moderately low) then swallow a dextrose tab (or something with a low fixed carb value and relatively quick release).
Check your BG before, then after say 15 mins, after 30 mins etc up to approx 2hrs after. You will then know exactly how much 1g of carb raises your bloods. Working back from that you can calculate how much 1 unit of insulin drops your bloods.

For example, if say 4g raises you 1mmol/l
therefore 1g carb raises you 0.25mmol/l
therefore 10g carb would raise you 2.5mmol/l
which means 1 unit insulin drops you 2.5mmol/l

(Obviously I have made up the figures above, but hopefully you see how it would work)