Long distance cycle touring and keto

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Having managed a 4 day cycle tour at roughly 40 miles per day, I am starting to have more ambitious thoughts.

I am very aware that the ride was across the Netherlands and so was as flat as a very flat flat thing and with a mainly following wind which made it a lot easier.

I'm currently being tempted to attempt JOGLE (John o' Groats to Lands End) in 2020 to celebrate my 70th birthday but this is a whole different order of things because it involves weeks of continuous riding and also some seriously scary hills.

I eat LCHF and generally manage to maintain ketosis so I would be using ketones for energy.

The accounts that I have read (at least those with dietary information) are, quite understandably, heavy on the carbohydrates and sugars for energy. Lots of Mars Bars and bananas, chips, porridge, pasta etc.

So I thought I would ask if anyone has undertaken a long distance bicycle tour on a keto diet, and how well it went.

A rough estimate for a JOGLE for me would be 50 miles per day for 20 days.
60 or 70 miles might be achievable on some days, but then again 40 miles might be harsh when climbing over the hills.

Reactions: Elizabeth Barlett