Long overdue reality check!

JayAtkinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I am 22 years old and I have been a type 1 diabetic for over ten years now. I have to say I have never been the best at controlling my blood sugars and just fancied sharing some of my experiences!

I went for my annual eye test and 6 monthly review recently and the results were not positive to say the least. My HbA1c has been pretty consistently above the 80 mark for 5 years (pretty terrible I know!) and my eye test came back with potential signs of Maculopathy and a new appointment. Although the results have been scary for me, I have found that since then, I finally have the motivation to get rid of my layed back approach and get myself on the right track before its too late.

I test my bloods much more regularly now, I am more self controlled with what I eat - snacking on crisps was my downfall before (getting better)! I also find myself checking the amount of carbs in what I consume much more regularly, and maybe most importantly - after 7 years of smoking everyday, I haven't touched a fag in 3 weeks, which doesn't sound like a lot but I am very pleased with my progress :)!

Reading about other experiences on this site has also helped me. I don't really have any questions or even a real point to this, but it feels good to write this out for people who are going through similar things. In the past I have found it hard to talk about my condition with non diabetics because I feel like they cant truly understand what its like to have HI sugar levels, and to have the sick feeling at the bottom of the tummy! Luckily I do have a really supportive family and girlfriend who try their best to read more about diabetes and push me in the right direction. For that I am very grateful.

Anyways, I was wondering if other people have had similar experiences. Or if anyone had a point where they needed motivation and they found it / something that really helped (be it through bad news or a new hobby or anything!

Feeling good about myself in this moment, and i am happy that I am finally doing something wise and long overdue.

Thanks for reading - Jason

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @JayAtkinson

Well done on your progress so far, also great news that you've given up on the cigarettes :)

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good on ya hun. I've been T1 for 13 years and like yourself my diabetes was not controlled. I'd have good weeks and bad weeks. I also suffer from depression so this didn't help. I found great support going on courses my DN put me on. Talking to other people who were in similar situations boosted my confidence to take control of my diabetes. Last year I was put on the omnipod, best move I'd made. It has made managing a lot easier.

Reactions: noblehead

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the real point to this thread is ...............@JayAtkinson has decided to take control.
Jason you should be mightily proud of what you have and are achieving.
A pleasure to read your post.
Good luck and keep posting.:):)

Reactions: Diakat and azure

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
Welcome to the forum @JayAtkinson Great post, Good luck with your improved control regime. :)

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About 5 years ago they told me I had maculopapular, it's such a shock when it seems like diabetes is catching up with you. After that I had my eyes checked every 4 months. I dreaded every appointment. Extra effect went into improving control from pretty bad to better but along way from ideal. But things did gradually settle down with my eyes and at my last eye examine I was put back onto yearly checks. Yay! Felt like I'd win the lottery that day. Just goes to show a little improvement in control can go along way.

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jay asked if anybody else had similar experiences I simply shared my experience. How rude.

Keep at it Jay x

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Lorraine1973 . Not sure if my post is what you consider to be rude?
If it is I think you have misunderstood.
I was quoting the original thread " I really don't have any questions or even a real point to this "
This is the real point I was referring to. Sorry for any confusion. ( if it is my post you are referring to)
Your post raised no issues whatsoever with me and I wasn't responding in anyway to it.

Sophie1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I am 22 years old and I have been a type 1 diabetic for over ten years now. I have to say I have never been the best at controlling my blood sugars and just fancied sharing some of my experiences!

I went for my annual eye test and 6 monthly review recently and the results were not positive to say the least. My HbA1c has been pretty consistently above the 80 mark for 5 years (pretty terrible I know!) and my eye test came back with potential signs of Maculopathy and a new appointment. Although the results have been scary for me, I have found that since then, I finally have the motivation to get rid of my layed back approach and get myself on the right track before its too late.

I test my bloods much more regularly now, I am more self controlled with what I eat - snacking on crisps was my downfall before (getting better)! I also find myself checking the amount of carbs in what I consume much more regularly, and maybe most importantly - after 7 years of smoking everyday, I haven't touched a fag in 3 weeks, which doesn't sound like a lot but I am very pleased with my progress :)!

Reading about other experiences on this site has also helped me. I don't really have any questions or even a real point to this, but it feels good to write this out for people who are going through similar things. In the past I have found it hard to talk about my condition with non diabetics because I feel like they cant truly understand what its like to have HI sugar levels, and to have the sick feeling at the bottom of the tummy! Luckily I do have a really supportive family and girlfriend who try their best to read more about diabetes and push me in the right direction. For that I am very grateful.

Anyways, I was wondering if other people have had similar experiences. Or if anyone had a point where they needed motivation and they found it / something that really helped (be it through bad news or a new hobby or anything!

Feeling good about myself in this moment, and i am happy that I am finally doing something wise and long overdue.

Thanks for reading - Jason

Hi Jason I'm going through pretty much the same, so glad I found your post!

I've been Diabetic for almost 16 years, I'm 25 now and have not had the best hba1cs - it's at about 62% now. Also a light smoker but have now started on the e cig.

Just got my results from eye screening which shows Maculopathy and I am really scared. Can it be reversed? And what happened at your appointment?

Hope the not smoking is going well ? Please let me know how you're getting on. So glad to hear that it's been a wake up call as I think this is now for me too!

Any updates / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Sophie x