Long term complications

tsh99

1'm 19 and i've been diabetic for 6 years. What long term complications would I get if I;

Maintain a HB less than 6.5 all my life,

Eat healthily,

exercise regularly.

Thanks.

Tracey69

Hi tsh99
High and welcome.
If you can keep the sugars as low as you have i hope you won't get any complications.
But remember hormones, stress, illness can up our sugars, but don't worry it goes back to normal.
For someone of your age i'm really impressed your levels are that well controlled.
Wish mine were at your age and i was diagnosed at the age of 6 years old.
Well Done.
Look after yourself.
Take care
Tracey

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No one could possibly say for sure, one things is certain it will give you the best fighting chance to avoid them.

tsh99

Thank you for the reply Tracey. I didn't make myself clear sorry. My levels have actually not been very good for these 6 years. It is only recently that I have controlled my levels. I just wanted to make sure that if I carry on as the way I am with good levels, would I live a long life ?

Tracey69

Hi tsh99
Well no one can say whether we all get complications or even a long life, as not to be horrible we never now what's round the corner.
But if you can try and keep your control tight as you can then everyone has a chance of a long and happy life.
It wasn't until i was in my late 30's that i actually started taking care of myself. I always believed i would get away with complications, but unfortunately i have both eyes completely lasered, and i have now lost the sight in my left eye, i have a few other things but they are under control at present. Obviously i don't want to frighten you, but i just wish i listened more.
Take care
Tracey

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi,

It's difficult to quantify exactly what the results will be but according to the American Diabetes Association, every one percentage point drop in HbA1c levels (e.g., from nine to eight percent) can lead to a 35 percent drop in the risk of diabetes-related complications.

Aiming for less than 6.5% is the way to go in my opinion.

Have a look on here especially at the retinopathy threads and you will see that members there can go through terrible things because of the damage to their eyes - if you really take care of your blood sugars you will in all likelihood avoid those complications, if you don't you will in all likelihood end up with them.

The trouble with diabetic complications is once you've passed a 'tipping point' you can't go back and undo them whatever control you have, so we all need to ensure we don't get to that stage.

When I was 19 I didn't really think about what I'd be doing when I was in my 40's - it seemed to be so far away as to be irrelevant but time and the tide is forever moving on and one day you'll get to that ripe old age and if you've spend the last 20 years of your life making an enemy of your future you'll be stuck and wishing you'd gone about things differently. Luckily for me I never went too far off the wall; but with each year that passes I realise the need to tighten up as much as possible on the control.

So, well done for deciding to look at this now; everything is possible for you; but it's a marathon not a sprint.

Best

Dillinger

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
tsh99
It seems from the reading I have done that if you keep your HbA1c normal[ around 4.5 -5.5] with a fairly steady blood glucose at normal level [around 5] You shouldn't get any complications. However, HbA1c is an average of sorts and you can get an average of 5 with a Range of 2 - 10 or a similar average with a range of 4.5 -5.5 the second will protect you much more than the first.
No-one cqn promise the protect you from ALL risks, but if you read Richard Bernstein's book, you might do as well as he has.
Hana
PS good luck with your effort. Even some non-diabetics with regular high blood glucose, suffer from so-called "Diabetic Complications"