Long term injecting/BMs - alternative measures?!

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
as i have said before i have used my fingers, inparticular the little one and the next along for many many years. they always produce blood well. if my fingers are cold then its best i warm them or i'll get nothing.

i have had diabetes for about 22 years. the blood clickers have certainly come along in that time.

the only problem i've had with this was about two years ago. my little finger became quite sore. it felt like i had a prickle in it. i did the usual bit of digging around and never managed to find anything. this went on for over a week.

it still didn't feel any better and still no sign of a prickle......then one day i was having a dig around and the usual 'squeeze' to get a prickle out and then all of a sudden there was a loud and definate 'pop'......and it hurt......there was no sign of it before, but what came out was a small hard green coloured ball!

my finger went onto heal brilliantly after that

i could only assume that at some point some dirt or germ had managed to get in....perhaps with the lancet and go in deep and cause an infection which then some how calcified and continued to cause a problem for as long as it was there.

at all times i kept this clean and the pain dissapearing was almost instant. I take antibiotics for regular uti's....i don't want to run to the dr for every little thing and so don't when possible. also the attitudes to diabetics from some gp's (in my experience)....sucks !!..for want of a better word.

and so this sort of thing i would try to deal with myself...however...i would not have left it much longer before going to the gp and would not necessarily advise anyone else left it any length of time either.

you have to be sensible about these things...and use some common sense :D

imalittlefishy

I've just got a new meter and when reading through the instructions, I noticed that it says the normal cap (i.e. not AST) can be used on fingertips and earlobes(!) I've never come across this before, just wondering if anyone else has or has tried it??
xx