Looking for Diabetic Chocolate

jay2506

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't tried the chocolate which is specifically labelled as diabetic. My nurse advised me to steer clear, saying it was overpriced and full of nasties.

Can recommend the dark chocolate from Lidl. Think it's about a £1 for 200gm and it's absolutely lush. Am also doing WW and this is about 1 point per (massive) square. Yum - want some now!

LaughingHyena

I've only tried the sainsburys sugar free one and I was not that impressed, it tasted OK but had a really strange texture and didn't really melt in the mouth. It felt more like my tough was coated in fat. I tend to be on the picky side about textures of food though.

I quite like the 70% ones, it's worth trying a few brands as I think they can vary quite a lot. The truffle recipies are sounding nice too, I may have to make some of them soon.

If I want milk chocolate I will often make a mug of options hot chocolate. The individual sachets are a nice way to try out the various flavours then I bought a big jar of my favourite. Be patient when making it though, I find the powder take a while to dissolve and there is nothing worse then getting your mouth full of gritty powder on the last mouthful.

bedshaped2000

sainsburys do 5 individual bars for £1.30 5.6 grams of carb 85% cocoa

aldi do 5 bars for a pound mosther roth 8g of carbs 85% always sold ou though

both bars are nice and they make my bgs drop rather than rise

Beware! of the fat content on heavy cocoa bars if you are trying to lose weight. 1 bar of the mosther roth is 40% of your daily inktake of staurated fat. saying all that i have a bar a day!

Grazer

I was a dedicated chocaholic, and still love it but eat it in small doses. I agree with all previous comments, and understand about polyols, but I have found that Thornton's "Diabetic" milk chocolate tastes really nice and never sends me scurrying to the loo. (Although I still only eat it in small doses) You can get it from all high street thorntons shops or online. My BG doesn't go up, but neither does it with ordinary milk chocolate in limited amounts (I have about 3 squares of cadburys now and again)
Beware, however, the "filled" chocalates, like My old faves, orange cream. The filling is pure sugar. Stick to just chocolate - the fat content reduces the effective GI of the sugars in the chocolate. Chocolate with nuts in is good, as the nuts themselves replace part of the pure chocolate weight and are good for you - low in carbs and low GI
My latest chocolate is Green and Blacks organic creamy milk chocolate. Normal chocolate, and really nice, but aboit 50grams of carbs (sugar!) per 100 compared to about 60 for Cadburys. Dark chocolate IS miles better, but no good if you don't like dark, and I don't!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!
For those of you who do like dark chocolate and can tolerate a bit of carb, Nestles have just brought out a 70% dark chocolate kit kat.It is 19.1g carb per bar (each bar has 4 fingers), so less than 5g carb per finger. I had one finger of it with my cup of tea and my BG went up 1.2. It is delicious and for any of you who can tolerate a bit more carb, two fingers of it with a cup of tea would be Heaven!

Smidge

bedshaped2000

do the same test without the kit kat and just the tea you might be suprised. coffee and tea with milk gives me a little spike but not with the chocolate that i eat

rob1988

I've tried a couple of the Balance sugar free range off this site http://www.justforyouconfectionery.co.uk/Sugar-Free-1/Chocolates. I particuarly liked the dark chocolate with cranberries, very scrumptious :). I ate this bar over a couple of days and can't say I noticed any laxative effect. I think i'm going to try their choc spread too! I'll let you know if its nice. However if you're worried about the laxative bit, like loads of other people have said your family should be fine with normal high cocoa % dark chocolate. Hope that helps!

reidpj

I melt a 100g bar of Lindt 90% (14g Carb) in a microwave, then stir in 100ml of double cream (3g Carb) - very stiff mix. To this mix I add some crushed mixed nuts, then flatten it out on grease proof paper. Into the fridge until it hardens. When hardened I smash it into bite size chunks.