Loosing my hypo awareness

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies,

So I’m currently 34 weeks pregnant! The last 2 weeks I’ve noticed I haven’t felt barley any hypos, I’d say iv noticed 1 maybe 2 in the last 2 weeks and iv been having Atleast one hypo a day .. I have spoken to my diabetic team and they don’t seem worried! They just said I must be ruthless with checking my bloods.

I’d check and it’s like 3.1 and i feel absolutely fine .. so weird!! As never had this with my first pregnancy!

Has anyone had anything similar?

Thanks
X

jade88

Yes! I lost mine very early on around beginning of 2nd trimester! My team said it may be because I pulled my blood sugars in so quickly! Never did in my first pregnancy either! Strange how 2 pregnancies can be so different!

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes! I lost mine very early on around beginning of 2nd trimester! My team said it may be because I pulled my blood sugars in so quickly! Never did in my first pregnancy either! Strange how 2 pregnancies can be so different!

It’s so strange isn’t it!!

Were they worried? I’m worried I won’t wake in the night for hypos now! Did you get induced earlier then 37-38 weeks? X

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have no awareness till I’m about 2.4 which is very scary! They said it’s because our levels are so tight during pregnancy and should slowly come back after but it never had for me and is exactly the same now I’m expecting number 2!

I have an alarm set every night for about 1.30 to test my blood and 9/10 I am low, perhaps if you notice a pattern of night time hypos you should set an alarm in the night to test (just in case?) xx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no awareness till I’m about 2.4 which is very scary! They said it’s because our levels are so tight during pregnancy and should slowly come back after but it never had for me and is exactly the same now I’m expecting number 2!

I have an alarm set every night for about 1.30 to test my blood and 9/10 I am low, perhaps if you notice a pattern of night time hypos you should set an alarm in the night to test (just in case?) xx

Bless you hun!! It’s just lucky I’ve checked randomly!! Yeah I might have to set an alarm, the nights worry me the most!!

How far along are you? I never had this before, my hba1c is 6.5% so not massively now. But my sugars have been on the low side lately .. xx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bless you hun!! It’s just lucky I’ve checked randomly!! Yeah I might have to set an alarm, the nights worry me the most!!

How far along are you? I never had this before, my hba1c is 6.5% so not massively now. But my sugars have been on the low side lately .. xx

I’m only 13 and a half weeks currently but my first son is only 1 so not a huge gap between them. I’m worried about driving, the diabetes team keep telling me how serious it is (which I’m well aware of) but just had to send me licence off to be renewed so hoping they don’t stop me

My latest hba1c was 6.4 but that came down from 8.4 in just 1 month so think maybe coming down so quickly like you said may play a big part in it aswell I have it in my head it’s better to be low than high which i know is completely wrong at the mo, I just get fixated on getting my hba1c down as quick as I can in pregnancy that I am constantly having hypos :(

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m only 13 and a half weeks currently but my first son is only 1 so not a huge gap between them. I’m worried about driving, the diabetes team keep telling me how serious it is (which I’m well aware of) but just had to send me licence off to be renewed so hoping they don’t stop me

My latest hba1c was 6.4 but that came down from 8.4 in just 1 month so think maybe coming down so quickly like you said may play a big part in it aswell I have it in my head it’s better to be low than high which i know is completely wrong at the mo, I just get fixated on getting my hba1c down as quick as I can in pregnancy that I am constantly having hypos :(

They shouldn’t take your licence away hun, as long as you test before you drive and your above 5 then it should be fine

Do you renew yours every 3 years? Such a pain isn’t it!!
I think exactly the same. Id Rather be low then high, defiantly!! When your low it’s not dangerous for the baby.

Wow that’s amazing how quickly you’ve lowered your hba1c!! I’m shocked this baby is measuring on the 50th centile .. my 1st was always on the 95th

Did you have a natural birth with your 1st? Xx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They shouldn’t take your licence away hun, as long as you test before you drive and your above 5 then it should be fine

Do you renew yours every 3 years? Such a pain isn’t it!!
I think exactly the same. Id Rather be low then high, defiantly!! When your low it’s not dangerous for the baby.

Wow that’s amazing how quickly you’ve lowered your hba1c!! I’m shocked this baby is measuring on the 50th centile .. my 1st was always on the 95th

Did you have a natural birth with your 1st? Xx

I hope so, would be lost if I couldn’t drive

I was induced at 37 weeks exactly with my first and spent 4 days going through the induction process which didn’t work so ended up with a cesction. What about you? I’ve got a meeting in a few weeks to discuss options for this time and I just don’t know what to do

Little man was perfect all through pregnancy and was only 6lb 6oz when he was born so hopefully this one isn’t a whopper either

Bet your so excited now with only a few weeks to go!

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I would be too Hun!! Fingers crossed it will all be fine

I was induced at 37 weeks exactly too, it took 2 and half days to get me going and I dialated to 10cm but little man wouldn’t budge so ended up with an emergency section too! Seems common in diabetic women .. he was a bigger baby at 7lb 12oz! I reckon he’d have hit 10lb if I went full term

Such a perfect weight hun! I have decided to try for a natural birth again, but it’s literally taken me the whole pregnancy to decide .. iv changed my mind so much!! I think because baby’s smaller I choose natural. I’m just worried my previous c-section scare will tear open in labour!!

Yes excited and nervous haha .. life with a toddler and new born is going to be different haha x

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah I would be too Hun!! Fingers crossed it will all be fine

I was induced at 37 weeks exactly too, it took 2 and half days to get me going and I dialated to 10cm but little man wouldn’t budge so ended up with an emergency section too! Seems common in diabetic women .. he was a bigger baby at 7lb 12oz! I reckon he’d have hit 10lb if I went full term

Such a perfect weight hun! I have decided to try for a natural birth again, but it’s literally taken me the whole pregnancy to decide .. iv changed my mind so much!! I think because baby’s smaller I choose natural. I’m just worried my previous c-section scare will tear open in labour!!

Yes excited and nervous haha .. life with a toddler and new born is going to be different haha x

I was in “labour” for 12 hours but only dilated to 3cm and then just stayed there and was over contracting when his heart rate started to drop so off to theatre we went!

I would have no problems about having an elective this time I just don’t like the idea of not being able to pick up my big boy and be constantly worried about him hurting me, especially when hubby goes back to work. I wonder whether a second induction would fail as the first did and then waste 4 days in hospital, hopefully the midwife will have some good stats and stories to help me make up my mind! Decisions decisions...

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in “labour” for 12 hours but only dilated to 3cm and then just stayed there and was over contracting when his heart rate started to drop so off to theatre we went!

I would have no problems about having an elective this time I just don’t like the idea of not being able to pick up my big boy and be constantly worried about him hurting me, especially when hubby goes back to work. I wonder whether a second induction would fail as the first did and then waste 4 days in hospital, hopefully the midwife will have some good stats and stories to help me make up my mind! Decisions decisions...

It’s such a hard decision to make, I was in hospital a week with my first and I don’t want that again, it’s not just you to think of the second time around is it!!

But I think the recovery with a toddler and a new born will be harder with a planned c-section although I recovered really well the first time and like you said I’d be worried about picking him up and stuff!

I think it’s a 70% success rate for a VBAC with mother’s! So I’m going off that haha x

jade88

My team weren’t worried because I’m not suffering from night time hypos! I was induced at 38 weeks with first responded well and had him naturally next day he did weigh a whopping 9lbs and spent 24 hrs in nciu for low blood sugars but other than that was healthy!
Just had 32 week scan and this babies tummy is measuring slightly on large side so having a growth scan in 3 weeks to check he’s not getting too large! x

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My team weren’t worried because I’m not suffering from night time hypos! I was induced at 38 weeks with first responded well and had him naturally next day he did weigh a whopping 9lbs and spent 24 hrs in nciu for low blood sugars but other than that was healthy!
Just had 32 week scan and this babies tummy is measuring slightly on large side so having a growth scan in 3 weeks to check he’s not getting too large! x

That’s great to hear a successful induction, I think being induced at 38 weeks is better then 37 because your body is a little bit more ready!
I reckon they’ll push this baby to 38 weeks, I’d love to go into natural labour but it won’t happen haha.

How have your sugars been with this pregnancy? Iv been scanned every 2 weeks since 28 weeks to track growth. X

jade88

I know the positive induction stories seem few and far between! You never know women often go into labour earlier with 2nd baby! Blood sugars have been good not as tight as first time round but last hbac1 was 6.4 so not terrible!

livi2006

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi girls just curious to know I'm currently 28 weeks an I had a scan on thur an they said baby abdomine was measuring 2 weeks over there taking me back for a rescan in 2 weeks... they mentioned I might have to go in an get steroid to boost the lungs an start me at 37 weeks is this normal my hba1c was 30 at last test an sugars r very tight I've really found it quite easy luckily enough.. this is my 1st baby so advice would be great xx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi girls just curious to know I'm currently 28 weeks an I had a scan on thur an they said baby abdomine was measuring 2 weeks over there taking me back for a rescan in 2 weeks... they mentioned I might have to go in an get steroid to boost the lungs an start me at 37 weeks is this normal my hba1c was 30 at last test an sugars r very tight I've really found it quite easy luckily enough.. this is my 1st baby so advice would be great xx

Hey,

I had steroids with my first as a precaution and he was induced at 37 which is technically classed as full term.
I’m actually in hospital now have steriods for this baby, growth is bang on normal but Iv had a bit of reduced movement so doing it as a precaution.

Some women naturally have bigger babies, how was your sugars on conceiving because that can effect growth too?

Xx

jade88

Both my sister and sister in law had 10lb babies and neither are diabetic! My first was 9lbs at 38 weeks despite tight control my hbac1 was never above 6.4! xxx

livi2006

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My level have been great for about 12 months prior to conceiving because I had difficulty getting pregnant I've been keeping an eye on my movements an it all seems pretty regular every day.. I think I'm going to have to up my doses as today's sugars have been coming to in out of range an eating hasn changed so baby must be doin through a spirt I had to do the same at around 20 weeks

Brillpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Never been pregnant nor never likely to be. I am thankful that I start to get glittery if my sugars drop... lowest 3.1 lately. A local vicar used to fall to the floor of his pulpit without warning ️. Obviously the only way to avoid this is close monitoring of food and regular testing especially before and after exercise. Thanks for you discussion

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I was induced at 37 weeks but never had any steroids! My sugars were great during pregnancy and my little man was perfect weight 6lb 6oz x

Reactions: livi2006