Losing too much weight

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re cholesterol when I was first diagnosed with diabetes type 2 my cholesterol levels were over 7 but after upping fats and lowering carbs my levels came down to around 5 and with a much better ratio
Carol

Reactions: Alison Campbell

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had 1/3 of pancreas removed by Whipple operation, what makes you think I could be type 1. Sorry all new to me.
I also had the Whipple operation and a significant portion of my pancreas removed (11 years ago). I was told I would probably be diabetic but turned out I wasn't. Then 2.5 months ago I was diagnosed Type 1.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in the same situation over here in Canada. I was 69 when I was diagnosed T2 in March 2017 and I weighed 156 lb, 11.14 stone, 70 kg. I was put on Metformin, but quit it after about 2 weeks. I started the Keto plan in May or June 2017 and my A1C went down to the normal range and my weight was 102 lbs this morning, 7.2 stone, 46 kg. I am only 5' 1.5" and I am still amazed at how small I am. My family and friends are astounded because they've never seen me this small. To be honest, I've never seen me this small. I almost forgot, I had bariatric surgery 39 years ago and only got down to 135 lbs. My top half is looking kind of scrawny, but trust me, my bottom half still has fat, but that's how I've always been. I was telling myself on my dog walk this morning that finally after 70 years I like my weight and hope I can stay this way for another 20 years. It took me so long to get here, but it took T2 to do it. I also want to keep that under control and I know starchy veggies, bread, sugar, flour spikes me even if I don't eat any of those things for months on end. My diabetic educator also told me NOT to give up anything, moderation is the key. Moderation does not work for me with those things. I do have to say that both my physician and DE are impressed with how well I've been doing, but they still don't advocate the LCHF lifestyle. There are too many people younger than me that are dying from diabetes and the complications that come with it because they are told to eat normally and take their medications or insulin. I wish the medical profession would get with the program and maybe so many people would be able to enjoy a longer life. I'm glad I found this thread today because I've been wonder how to NOT lose anymore weight. Thanks for this forum.

Update on my progress. After much reading this week and many tips for lowering my blood glucose back to normal levels, I decided to try something to give my liver and pancreas a break 'cause I am insulin resistant, meaning my cells are FULL. Two meals a day. I ate breakfast yesterday and today, egg/bacon/veggies fried in bacon fat, 1 slice psyllium/flax toast with butter, coffee. I then ate supper around 6 p.m. LCHF and some protein, I even had room for a LC cookie. I believe I wasn't eating enough fat. My fasting blood yesterday was 6.0, today 5.4. Last night before supper my BG was 4.8. It has not been this low since I got sick in May and my mood swings were horrible because the sugar was bouncing around in my blood. I have to say I am feeling much better and not like my insides are going to explode. I need to keep it this low so my A1C will improve in December, however, I do need to maintain my weight and maybe put on about 5 pounds. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: ian1currie

Mary1957

Hi kiggy how did you lose so much weight the nurse has told me that I must lose weight I have type 2 diabetes but I also have high blood pressure so I can’t take take no tablets for my diabetes I got got to control it my self so I need to go on a low carbs diet so you can give me some good ideas thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi kiggy how did you lose so much weight the nurse has told me that I must lose weight I have type 2 diabetes but I also have high blood pressure so I can’t take take no tablets for my diabetes I got got to control it my self so I need to go on a low carbs diet so you can give me some good ideas thanks

A low carb diet should help you lose weight. I lost 4 and a half stone very easily, then struggled to stop losing! Many of us on here have lost weight on low carb/high or higher fat. You may also find your blood pressure improves, and it goes without saying that your blood sugars will. Win, win, win.

Mary1957

You might think I’m thick but what’s carbs I also have high cholesterol but I control that’s I don’t eat many dairy products but I ain’t feeling the way I am I.ve never been a big person but I am now and l don’t like the way I look

Munkey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most things!
Thank you for your reply much appreciated. My BMI is 20.2 now, I rechecked after your reply. My weight has dropped a stone in one month since watching the carb intake. I do keep those individual blocks of cheese and Cheddar thins in my bag for snacks while out and to have with a coffee instead of something sweet. I do test blood glucose which can be erratic 5.2 on waking and shooting to 10.2 after bran flakes and banana (much lower after cooked breakfast but can't always face that). I seem fine with potato but bread, cereals play havoc!!! Not happy being in 7 stones would like to get back in 8s. Will keep munching on nuts and cheese been restricting them. Thank you again
I

Munkey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most things!
Hey kiggy
It’s recommended that you test at least two hours after a meal and I can really recommend a book by Dr micheal Mosley called the 8 week blood sugar diet it’s packed full of tips on how to get the best out of your food costs about a fiver on Amazon the weight loss program may not work for you but the rest of the book in my humble opinion is a invaluable tool I wasn’t overweight I hiked every weekend and ate what I thought was a really healthy diet ! Didn’t stop me from devolping t2 diabetes and having to go on to insulin injections keep your chin up and keep on asking those questions and just know there’s no such thing as stupid question only stupid answers !!

Reactions: kitedoc

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You might think I’m thick but what’s carbs I also have high cholesterol but I control that’s I don’t eat many dairy products but I ain’t feeling the way I am I.ve never been a big person but I am now and l don’t like the way I look
Carbs are short for Carbohydrate
Carbohydrates are the sugars, starches and fibres found in fruits, grains, vegetables and milk products.
They are called carbohydrates because, at the chemical level, they contain carbon, hydrogen and oxygen.
You also have Protein and Fat as the other two macro nutrients, that we can eat as food.

Reactions: kitedoc

Munkey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most things!
hey Mary
Carbohydrates can also be defined chemically as neutral compounds of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Carbohydrates come in simple forms such as sugars and in complex forms such as starches and fiber. The body breaks down most sugars and starches into glucose, a simple sugar that the body can use to feed its cells..................So basically it’s the energy we need to make our bodies work can I ask what type it’s is you have are you 1 or 2 and when you’ve got a spare five mins there’s a amazing book by DR Micheal Mosley called the 8 week blood sugar diet it helped me a great deal as I was starting out on the journey best six quid I ever spent !!

Mary1957

Hi munkey I think it was you that sent me this message I have type 2 and I just don’t know what I can eat or not I’m not a big eater I never had 4 meals a day now they tell me that I got to eat 4 meals a day just little ones I just started eating breakfast only cause I’m a diabetic it’s just hard to know what good for and what not