Losing waist but no weight?

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I started eating less carbs since diagnosed the last 3 weeks. From time to time I used to measure my waist. In this period I have no time for sports just walking around because of my job. Lost 3cm waist but no weight. A hole less on the belt. Has anyone an explanation ? Did I build muscles in anyway?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's probably that nasty visceral fat too. Good to get that gone. Sometimes it takes awhile for the scale to catch up. However that does seem like a long while. Low carb can be muscle sparing as well. How have you changed your diet when you reduced carbs?

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kristin. I started eating lots of meat, fish and cheese. Particularly I found a "fresh cheese" that I love to mix with sweetener and fruits or even salted with meat, and it has nearly zero carbs and zero fat. I even found a "protein bread" with just 7,5% carbs that tastes wonderfully. I live in Germany though, so I don't know if you can find this servings in the UK. I substituted Cow Milk with unsweetened Almond milk too, (0 carbs).

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there

I'm in the US and the U.K has some very foreign foods to me haha but hey have very smart people.

Where you diagnosed type 1 or 2? Big question.

In MY experience all dairy will cause weight gain and even worse insulin resistance but this is not true for all.

Also you may want to look into the protein portions. Protein has a very profound effect on MY bs but doesn't effect others. When low carbing it is said gluconeogenisis proceeds rapidly, meaning protein will turn to BS.
The idea here is to replace carbs with healthy fats and to keep protein moderate, just enough for repair and maintenance.
Perhaps instead of increasing protein you could keep that moderate and increase good fats such as avocado nuts seeds olives olive oil.
In the ABCENSE of carbs fat is not unhealthy. Combined with carbs is another story. Some do well with saturated fats, I do not. Nor dairy of any kind. My CHO as well as insulin resistance sky rockets but you need to figure that out for yourself. We are all different.

More power to you for being aware and trying to fix it. Much to learn in this forum. Wealth of information from great people. Stick around.... It'll do you good

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will daily learn many things here :)