Losing your rag.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does losing your rag cause blood sugars to shoot up?

Can't think of any other explanation for yesterday's readings...

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you possibly have lost your rag BECAUSE of high blood sugars. I'm more likely to lose the rag if I'm low, but I believe others can lose it when they're high.

Anyway, any kind of stress can raise blood sugars, so that's a couple of possibilities.

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
YES! Definitely, as far as I am concerned anyway. :)

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had tested my BG, MrCeleriac walked into bedroom, a slanging match ensued. He walked out. I was curious and tested BG. It had gone up FIVE points. So definitely, in my case.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good question. In my experience, there's definitely a correlation between the two, but which drives which I'm not sure. Either way, I've always found it a very good counterpoint to my other three-quarter's (IMHO, often unfair) assertion that her irritability is solely due to her PMT.

My: 'And T2 to you too' usually puts paid to the conversation - although I do sometimes feel guilty playing that card ;-)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to keep calm if a potentially "heated discussion" occurs can cause my levels to go up just as much as a good screaming match. For me it appears to be the actual stress of either situation that raises my levels - usually if ever I test soon after it tends to be up between 1.5 and 2 points.

However I agree, something does definitely make the difference between my walking away gritting my teeth and triggering a letting it rip scenario, but the latter certainly makes me feel better. I don't feel any guilt since I've also been on the receiving end of such behaviour (with no discernable reason for it) much longer than I've been on the "giving" end.:wideyed:

Robbity

PS Oddly I've thrown more such tantrums since my glucose levels have been fairly stable than when they would have been much higher pre-diabetes..

Reactions: 2 people

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, potentially. If you're annoyed enough that your body dumps adrenaline into your blood stream (fight or flight response), the adrenaline will make your liver dump glucose in as well.

he typed, having been persuaded to take a week off work and stop shouting at people and generally throwing toys out of prams. Mine have been a bit high recently, too...

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"yes Doc I can go through my readings with you.......yes that high is because I shouted at the Dog, that one my Daughter bought her new boyfriend home - yours would have gone through the roof too if you'd have seen him, oh that huge spike......the wife, need I say more.......oh and that bit where my levels are 'normal' that'll be when I'm asleep. "

Reactions: 14 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good question. In my experience, there's definitely a correlation between the two, but which drives which I'm not sure. Either way, I've always found it a very good counterpoint to my other three-quarter's (IMHO, often unfair) assertion that her irritability is solely due to her PMT.

My: 'And T2 to you too' usually puts paid to the conversation - although I do sometimes feel guilty playing that card ;-)

@2131tom you are undoubtedly absolutely correct - because PMT actually stands for 'Pathetic Men Tension'! ;)

Although now you come to mention it, that is probably why bg's are constantly high at the moment - I now officially have TWO teenage girls in the house (youngest turned 13 last week) and they are horrid! :arghh:

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stress definitely raises your blood glucose level. The most precarious part for me is that if I treat the rise and the stress goes away, I'm immediately too low.
I used to have continuously high sugars the week before my period. It was awful; it didn't matter how much insulin I took.
And the day I would start, my sugar dropped so low I couldn't think straight.
I finally started taking evening primrose oil for my PMS, and surprisingly, it helped a bit with my BG as well. Black currant oil is a bit stronger.
Now, as a menopausal woman, I don't have the same cycle. I take black cohosh for hot flashes and on those times where insulin doesn't seem to affect my BG, I'll take a garcina camboa and it will put me back on track (with careful monitoring).

Last edited by a moderator:

Cassandra13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am type 1 but I find that right before my period I need more insulin, than in the first couple days I actually have low BG and have to cut back my insulin....So by comparison, I definitely have higher sugars after my period than during

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha yeah, I've been diabetic all my life (well since I was 3) and hyper- and hypoglycemia can both cause mood changes. Not necessarily every time but it's a definate symptom. For me it tends to be 'belligerent toddler' when low and 'rage machine' when high.....oh the fun we have

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that about half an hour after breakfast and for about half an hour I can snap incredibly easily and try to keep myself out of the way of others during that time purely because I know it will take little for me to turn in to an irrational hulk. Unfortunately the others in the house either have a hard time accepting that this is to do with diabetes or forget and then put themselves in the firing line during that time by doing something which will annoy me.