Loss of taste and smell senses

deeds24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi has anyone suffered from loss of taste and smell senses? I've looked through other forums and can't find anything. I'm type 2 diagnosed in 2012, I had a bit of a cold and cough back in January this year. I got over it within a couple of weeks but was left with this horrible aftertaste. And smell, I can only describe it as sickly sweet like overpowering vanilla. I can tell if the food I'm eating is salty or sweet but even strong espresso has this tainted taste and smell to it. I have tried nose drops and different mouthwashes to see if this would help but didn't help.

I haven't been to the doctor yet because I actually told a lie, I had given up smoking but fell off the wagon and didn't want the doctor to know. I have given up again and not had a cigarette in 6 months and thought when I gave up smoking it would rectify itself.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Dee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Taste disturbance is one of the adverse side effects of Metformin. Are you taking Metformin? I suffered from it but it made some foods taste like burnt plastic in my case. I don't remember losing my sense of smell but it was a few years ago now so maybe I did and don't remember.

deeds24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Squire
Yes I take Metformin I'm on 1500mg a day. I really appreciate the advice, I have contemplated coming off Metformin for a while due to other side effects, now my mind's made up.