Lost appitite

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all started LCHF and 18/6 fasting and carbs at 20% two weeks ago. Not a problem with fasting as not much of an appetite in a morning. Fasting is from 20.00 to 14.00 next day with just water, black tea and vitamin water in the day. Problem is I'm just not that hungry after fasting. I need food as I take Metformin and Gicazide twice a day I can manage some low carb food at about 15.00 some cheese, beef or bacon and eggs. I then don't fancy anything else come to about 19.00 and think I need to have something because I need to take rest of Metformin and Glicazide. I really struggle to have anything as I just don't fancy any food. I feel fine don't feel low or anything is this a natural thing? Any help info much appreciated.

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I regularly don't eat because I am not hungry, the only difference is that I'm not on medication.

It's a little surprising you don't feel hungry on the Glic, that was a bit of a bugbear with me - I found myself needing to eat NOW whilst taking that!

All I can suggest is that you perhaps treat your second meal of the day as medicine to go with the medicine. Enough carbs to satisfy the Glic with few enough carbs to mitigate the bowl rumbling effects of the Met. Maybe a tablespoon of full fat yoghurt with a few berries?

If you have a sustained improvement in your Hba1c it would be worthwhile talking about halving or at leat reducing your meds with your nurse or GP and that would hopefully solve your one meal a day problem.

When I showed vast improvement my nurse was happy for me to trial a 'no medication' approach to controlling my diabetes. Not eating to the clock is a wonderful freedom. I frequently feel better not eating for a day or so and I let my appetite guide me.