1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Lost bs testing kit in foreign country!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Andy41, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Andy41

Andy41 LADA · Well-Known Member

I’m in Japan ( holiday- I have one more week) and have just discovered I’ve misplaced my testing kit. I’m quite stable with insulin dosage and know when hypos are coming. What do you think is the easiest way to acquire a new kit tomorrow? I know this is a long shot but my wife is stressing out. I will phone my health insurance company tomorrow morning.

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I sent my meter swimming in Australia twenty-one years ago, I went to a pharmacy and asked. They sold me a new one - cost a bit, but not too scary. I'd expect this to be easier now, though I obviously didn't have to negotiate a completely different language :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andy41

Thanks for the reassuring reply. My wife Is Japanese but she seems to think it will be a problem. I agree with you. I’m sure there are many other diabetics in Japan!

4. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

I agree with @evilclive (who, incidentally, is starting to shed his "evil" demeanour). The easiest option is to walk into a pharmacist and ask to buy a new meter. If you are taking insulin, no matter how hypo aware you are, I would not recommend a week without testing especially, as being on holiday, your food and activities are likely to be different to what you are used to.
    Whilst the meter won't be uber cheap, it is likely to be less than the usual excess on travel insurance.
    Once you have your replacement meter, you may also want to buy a chain a padlock so you can be certain it is with you at all times ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, @Andy41 , as evilclive says, it should be easy enough to buy one from a chemist, but I think Japan might use mg/dl instead of mmol/l. If that turns out to be the case, divide by 18 to get the mmol/l equivalent.

A much cheaper option might be Glucoflex-R, which are old fashioned colour changing strips. You can't really pick those up off the shelf, normally an online purchase, but folks use them for testing diabetic pets, so there's a slim chance that vets might stock thwm, or even larger pet-shops.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

It strikes me, particularly if your wife can communicate on your behalf, the place to go is the local pharmacy. If thay, specifically, can't help, they should know how to go about it. I'm sure, with all the gadgetry available in the Far East that a blood glucose monitor will be readily available. Like in UK, there will likely be a charge and the consumables may be eye-watering for someone not used to footing that particular bill, but I feel comfortable it will be do-able.

Erm,......... probably a bit late to ask if you'd taken a spare with you.

I'll get my coat!

Please let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I would go to a pharmacy and purchase another one if I was you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. DCUKMod

How did it work out, @Andy41 ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Andy41

It seems you can buy a kit but not the test strips so I had to own up to my father in law, a doctor, who managed to get me one. Was trying to sort out the problem on my own though. Felt like a bit of an idiot! We already missed a flight in Korea due to idiocy!

10. Andy41

Thank you for your support and replies though.

11. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

You won't do that again anytime soon :)

12. Andy41

You say that... I have just left my coat on a coach! Can diabetes trigger memory loss!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  13. DCUKMod

Gosh, that's quite bizarre, in terms of strips being unavailable. Great news you resolved that part though. Shame about the coat..........

When back in the UK, it could be an idea to get at least one spare meter kit, but you know that already.

It's horrid when these UK irritations become a harder puzzle, just due to location.

14. Andy41

Being diabetic in Japan is quite tough I’ve found. The general eating habit is to order dishes and then share so its really difficult to know how much you’re going to eat or, even, have eaten if you decide to inject at the end. Kind of given up and going for around 6 each meal. Blood sugars have generally been in the teens which I’d like to us as excuse for all the ridiculous forgetfulness.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lynne C J

Lynne C J Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You may have to buy a different by meter so make sure you buy enough test strips too

16. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I found that if you need to buy a new meter you’ll also need to buy local strips because even if the meter is the same brand your strips might not be compatible! Strange but true!

17. kevbee

kevbee · Member

My testing kit (SD Codefree) is made in South Korea. I'm holidaying in Philippines at the moment and realised that I'm going to run out of testing strips. Fortunately - a quick look on their version of Amazon (called Lazada) and there they are! And cheaper than UK! :D

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook