Lost my diabetic uncle

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
I'm not sure if this is the right board or not, but last week I lost my diabetic uncle. As he didn't make much effort to control his diabetes beyond taking medication (Type 1, insulin dependant), I'm sure the majority of his health problems stemmed from this fact, even though age would also have had an influence. Although he's met his grand-daughter she'll never know him or remember him as she's so young. We knew he had major health issues and didn't have long left, but it's still been a bit of a shock :(

It's really brought it home to me the long term result of not trying to manage the condition properly. I'm going to do my best not to make the same mistakes he's made, and be more pro-active in dealing with my health.

Reactions: 2 people

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
So sorry to read your sad news, my sincere condolences to you and yours . I think news like this, however sad, is a massive wake up call to those who may become apathetic , and don't we all at times . Carry on doing your best not to let this nasty disease spoil your life .

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It's really brought it home to me the long term result of not trying to manage the condition properly. I'm going to do my best not to make the same mistakes he's made, and be more pro-active in dealing with my health.

That is the only GOOD news in your message if I'm permitted to say it. My thoughts for you and tough to go thru.

Mike :)

Take care

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So sorry for your loss, condolences to you and your family.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle. A timely reminder to the rest of us to stick to the diet and keep the complications at bay.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear of your loss ..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
purplekat, like the others I too am so sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts at this sad time.

Please take care, RRB x

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
So sorry to hear your sad news, take care and look after yourself