1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Lost my diabetic uncle

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by purplekat, May 5, 2015.

1. purplekat

purplekat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is the right board or not, but last week I lost my diabetic uncle. As he didn't make much effort to control his diabetes beyond taking medication (Type 1, insulin dependant), I'm sure the majority of his health problems stemmed from this fact, even though age would also have had an influence. Although he's met his grand-daughter she'll never know him or remember him as she's so young. We knew he had major health issues and didn't have long left, but it's still been a bit of a shock :(

It's really brought it home to me the long term result of not trying to manage the condition properly. I'm going to do my best not to make the same mistakes he's made, and be more pro-active in dealing with my health.

• Like Like x 2
  2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So sorry to read your sad news, my sincere condolences to you and yours . I think news like this, however sad, is a massive wake up call to those who may become apathetic , and don't we all at times . Carry on doing your best not to let this nasty disease spoil your life .

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

That is the only GOOD news in your message if I'm permitted to say it. My thoughts for you and tough to go thru.

Mike :)

Take care

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

So sorry for your loss, condolences to you and your family.

5. Arab Horse

Arab Horse Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle. A timely reminder to the rest of us to stick to the diet and keep the complications at bay.

6. Enclave

Enclave Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Sorry to hear of your loss ..

7. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

purplekat, like the others I too am so sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts at this sad time.

Please take care, RRB x

8. poohtiggy

poohtiggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear your sad news, take care and look after yourself

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook