Low amylase count - causes and consequences?

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got the results of my blood tests from my last doctor's visit (my doctor was really happy with my weight loss (20%), my usual fasting and post-prandial BGs (5-5.5mmol and 5.5-6.5mmol respectively), and general state of well-being.)

In addition to the regular HbA1c, he said he'd order a blood test to check my amylase level, as I had raised the question of pancreatic cancer with him. A very close relative was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer just a couple of months ago, and my relative told me to talk to my doctor about it. My doctor said that a high amylase level would be an indicator that something was wrong, but that my previous test in January, had been low, at 20, and that the proper level was 25-120. He didn't foresee any trouble as PC wasn't hereditary. My test level was at 24 now, and the nurse at the surgery said that this was just fine, especially as it was getting into the normal range..

So my question is, what can be the causes of low amylase? If I recall correctly, amylase is the digestive enzyme that breaks down sugars, right? And what are the consequences of having a low amylase count?

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Gosh this is worrying for you. Nip over to cancer research or similar and ask there Maybe this one ?http://forum.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1576 . I have only used cancer research myself. This forum gave me the royal F off for querying pain control and diabetes and I was only on paracetamol at that time. Sheesh. You would not believe what I am on now and for me LCHF is a complete no no. Most ailments have forums with members who are diabetes and so far all wonderfully helpful to me. All the best

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Low amylase mean so you don't break doena nd process carbs well. So lchf!!