Low Blood Readings

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still like to check my bloods before or after a meal occasionally even though I've reversed my Type 2 Diabetes. I've noticed a few times that I'm scoring sometimes as low as 3.5 or 3.6 before or after a meal. Obviously I'm not on any medication and haven't been for over a year now.

I don't feel ill or have any low blood sugar symptoms but according to some things I've read, this is classed as low. Has anyone else who has reversed, etc, their Diabetes had the same as me?

D

Deleted Account

Technically anything below 4.0 is considered a hypo.
However, before I had diabetes, I believe I was often low. I didn't have a meter to test in those days but I would experience what I now know as slight hypo symptoms. I do not think this had anything to do with my later diabetes diagnosis.

In addition, our meters are not 100% accurate: they have to be accurate within +/-15%.
Therefore, a true reading of 4.0 could be seen as low as 3.4 on a meter.

Reactions: Aldebaran

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Technically anything below 4.0 is considered a hypo.
However, before I had diabetes, I believe I was often low. I didn't have a meter to test in those days but I would experience what I now know as slight hypo symptoms. I do not think this had anything to do with my later diabetes diagnosis.

In addition, our meters are not 100% accurate: they have to be accurate within +/-15%.
Therefore, a true reading of 4.0 could be seen as low as 3.4 on a meter.
I know that meters can be out but that is surprising and could change a reading quite dramatically. I have sometimes re-tested but got the same reading, as a rule, although I'm sure I've read that even using different fingers can make a difference?

Fingers crossed I have no symptoms, but it can be hard to judge as I'm in the Perimenopause age too and that can make you dizzy, feel off, etc. I will keep an eye on it and I record the results too. Thank you Helen.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Normal numbers for a non-diabetic. Under 4 is a hypo only counts when on glucose lowering medication, because you'll be very close to problems when under 4. When not on such medications your liver will dump some glucose in your blood before getting real trouble.

Reactions: Aldebaran

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that meters can be out but that is surprising and could change a reading quite dramatically. I have sometimes re-tested but got the same reading, as a rule, although I'm sure I've read that even using different fingers can make a difference?

Fingers crossed I have no symptoms, but it can be hard to judge as I'm in the Perimenopause age too and that can make you dizzy, feel off, etc. I will keep an eye on it and I record the results too. Thank you Helen.
I have gone down to mid 3's when fasting.. felt a bit "off" the first time but after that was fine. I think it is where the "normals" spend time when they aren't eating.. well done you!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would think it's perfectly normal.

A person without Diabetes would happily carry on with their life with BG's that low, although they may feel hungry.

I often record levels like that, especially when I haven't eaten for an extended period.

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Normal numbers for a non-diabetic. Under 4 is a hypo only counts when on glucose lowering medication, because you'll be very close to problems when under 4. When not on such medications your liver will dump some glucose in your blood before getting real trouble.
That's good to know. I did wonder how much medication could make a difference. Thank you Antje.
I have gone down to mid 3's when fasting.. felt a bit "off" the first time but after that was fine. I think it is where the "normals" spend time when they aren't eating.. well done you!
I can't tell you the relief of asking about this. I thought..typical me..I've gone one way and now it's the other. Thank you Bulkbiker.
I would think it's perfectly normal.

A person without Diabetes would happily carry on with their life with BG's that low, although they may feel hungry.

I often record levels like that, especially when I haven't eaten for an extended period.
I've noticed that when my BG is that low, I'm either due for a meal or I feel hungry but until asking here about it, I hadn't put two and two together. Thank you Britishpub.