Type 1 Low blood sugar feeling

markofml

I have diabetes for the past 4-5 years and this random question popped up in my head and i had to come here and ask.

On what does it depend on how strong the feeling of hypoglycemia is?

Sometimes i measure 3.2 mmol/L and feel like I'm having multiple panic attacks, sweating and overall upset feeling but sometimes i measure 2.1 mmol/L and im straight up chilling with no realization its low until it comes on really quickly couple of minutes later.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, it depends on the speed of the drop. If I am walking up a hill and start to suspect a dropping glucose level, the hypo symptoms get worse very rapidly. If I am sitting down watching TV, or working on a computer, the hypo symptoms can be much less intense and increase much more slowly. I think what your BS level has been over the previous few days can also make a difference. If your body has got used to a level slightly higher, a drop rings the brain's alarm bells much more insistently and the dreadful feeling of anxiety hangs around for a while.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have diabetes for the past 4-5 years and this random question popped up in my head and i had to come here and ask.

On what does it depend on how strong the feeling of hypoglycemia is?

Sometimes i measure 3.2 mmol/L and feel like I'm having multiple panic attacks, sweating and overall upset feeling but sometimes i measure 2.1 mmol/L and im straight up chilling with no realization its low until it comes on really quickly couple of minutes later.

My theory on this (and it's happened to me a few times) is that around the 3s or low 4s (depending on the person), the body goes into a panic and sends out the warning signals. If these are ignored or missed (for me it was missed/ignored because I was busy at work), the body thinks 'well I tried and she ignored me' so then switches off the signals and goes into survival mode, ie, shuts down anything that is not absolutely necessary and tries to readjust itself. I guess if it cannot do that at your 2.1, the next (quick) step is to shut down and on the floor you go. Just my theory mind. x