Low carb alternative flours!!

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most things that's good for me
I've been trying a few recipes for low carb alternatives to regular foods such as bread. This is main one as until my diagnosis I had no idea how much my diet relied on the stuff!!

I've tried a few different recipes including 90 second breads, 2 and 3 ingredient chaffles & a waffle style almond flour bread. None of them actually hit the spot. Almond flour I'm not liking at all, never did like almonds.

I haven't yet baked an actual loaf of bread yet because my baking skills leave a lot to be desired. Also it will be a complete waste of time if I use ingredients that I just won't enjoy.
Are there any other low carb flour alternatives other than almond flour? Every recipe I find online uses this flour and unless I can mask the taste of the almonds then I don't think it's for me.

I've been told about low carb breads but nowhere close to me stocks such a thing. I refuse to order online and pay OTT prices and delivery on top so making my own is the only realistic option. (Yes I am as tight as a ducks rear end! :D )

On a side note, I am infuriated by the ridiculous expense for some of these low carb items. I realise, supply and demand etc but come on, £8-10 for a bag of basically finely ground almonds is blatant robbery!! I'm sure you guys know of many more rip off low carb goods.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't abide almonds either, but for hubby I buy LC bread online and it costs £4.99 per 400g loaf but he enjoys it. Has two slices toast with cheese every night so I reckon it's worth it as it lasts him a while.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I cannot tolerate any flour but the one I can in moderation is Lupin flour. Hubby just made some me some lupin flour pastry for sugar free jam tarts, they are wonderful!!!

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lupin flour, never heard of it but after googling, finally, a reasonably priced ingredient! Only a couple of pounds for a bag.

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I take the easy route and avoid most bread.
I keep a loaf of HiLo bread , available in Sainsburys at £2:20, in the freezer just for cheese on toast
That's not the easy route for me. Bread was a huge part of my diet and taking it out, although better for me has left a massive hole in my diet. I've tried doing without but it's quite difficult for me.

Reactions: MissMuffett

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own sourdough with mostly wheat flour plus some wholemeal rye. Except for the day I bake it, I have two think slices per day. My last HbA1c was 44 so not doing too badly with it. Baking day I make sure I have some super-stinky cheese to hand!

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been wheat free since I developed an allergy 15 years ago. I LOVED bread and anything wheat based, I was devestated. I tried a zillion recipes and never really found anything I liked. The gluten free breads in the store are pretty carb heavy and often the low carb ones contain gluten. I just don’t even bother any more, except I will make a version of the egg white bread and make it into buns. There is a lady on you tube who has come up with a nut free flour replacement that I hear is good. I can’t try it as I have sensitivity to flax but it’s worth trying if you can get the secret ingredient…bamboo fibre.
her you tube is Victoria’s keto kitchen….maybe with a look. Look for her most recent posts as she’s been developing her flour mixes for years. Good luck, I know the pain of missing bread…I have cried over it…

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's not the easy route for me. Bread was a huge part of my diet and taking it out, although better for me has left a massive hole in my diet. I've tried doing without but it's quite difficult for me.
I’m the same, I lived on sandwiches. I buy Hovis Nibble 50 which is 8.1g of carbs per slice and keep it in the freezer, taking out a couple of slices when I want a sandwich for lunch. If I have a sandwich I make sure I eat almost no carbs for the rest of the day. Putting loads of butter on the bread frightens my friends :joyful:

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read somewhere that adding oat fibre to almond flour helps make it taste more like wheat bread. I've not tried it yet but I will soon and let you know.
A vote for almond flour plus oat fibre.

I don't miss bread during the warmer months, but once the temperature drops, I sometimes feel the need for a slice of something with my breakfast eggs. Then I make Nordic bread. My recipe contains almond flour plus oat fibre; a combination that also makes good pastry.

I sometimes use coconut flour for baking.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wondering if anyone has used Organic Gluten (Vital Wheat) - sold on Amazon for about £10 a kg. Saw a recipe for Sourdough Lipin Bread, Organic Gluten was one of the ingredients. One slice of the bread is said to be 1.9g of carbs. I might give it a go, but it does take about 2 weeks to get the Lupin starter up and running.

For Organic Gluten (Vital Wheat) flour
1697538650344.png

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JenniferM55 yes I use that particular one. Is a good product.
Wheat gluten, Lupin flour and 1 egg makes a more than acceptable pasta dough. Have yet to use Lupin flour in bread.
Please let me know if you crack it!

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own sourdough with mostly wheat flour plus some wholemeal rye. Except for the day I bake it, I have two think slices per day. My last HbA1c was 44 so not doing too badly with it. Baking day I make sure I have some super-stinky cheese to hand!
Can you share the recipe please?

Reactions: JenniferM55

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I’ve been wheat free since I developed an allergy 15 years ago. I LOVED bread and anything wheat based, I was devestated. I tried a zillion recipes and never really found anything I liked. The gluten free breads in the store are pretty carb heavy and often the low carb ones contain gluten. I just don’t even bother any more, except I will make a version of the egg white bread and make it into buns. There is a lady on you tube who has come up with a nut free flour replacement that I hear is good. I can’t try it as I have sensitivity to flax but it’s worth trying if you can get the secret ingredient…bamboo fibre.
her you tube is Victoria’s keto kitchen….maybe with a look. Look for her most recent posts as she’s been developing her flour mixes for years. Good luck, I know the pain of missing bread…I have cried over it…
I have actually been watching a couple of her videos and the recipes seem pretty good and quite easy.
The only major problem is the conversion from American measurements to UK. Over there it's a cup of this and 2 cups of that, well that doesn't help when we don't have measuring cups here!
A recipe I've tried is this one, it seemed to be going well but the resulting mixture was just too wet, it was very runny.
Keto Bread Loaf Recipe Card.png

I did still try baking it but it just ended up a very dense soggy mess.
The YouTube video tutorial showed a very light fluffy bread type texture when baked.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
<snip>
The only major problem is the conversion from American measurements to UK. Over there it's a cup of this and 2 cups of that, well that doesn't help when we don't have measuring cups here!
<snip>

They are readily available! I have a set, I use one of them when I make Yorkshire Puds as it's just about the same size as a large egg.

Reactions: retrogamer