Widdy1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi

I have been low carbing for just over a week now and have dramatically lowered my BS readings.

I am a little worried about an upcoming 2 week Cruise holiday and the copious amounts of great food on offer, main worry is with the Dinners (5 Course), now I can pre order a Diabetic Menu but I don't think they do a Low Carb one. (I will try and confirm this though)

Question is, what happens if I simply have the Diabetic Menu, will my BS rise and will I pile on the weight that I have started losing too.

The next worry will be my trip to America :crazy:

HELP! :cry:

Grazer

In my experience, the "Diabetic" menus are about the opposite of that: full of carbs. I find it better to eat the normal menus and just leave the food you know is high in starchy carbs. Also, If you ask specifically for something, just saying "medical reasons", they will normally conjure it up. Just don't ask for diabetic food! Don't worry, they'll be plenty on the menus you can eat. I sometimes ask for a mixture of a starter that obviously doesn't have things I can't eat mixed with bits of a main course that are OK. I always find people accomodating if you ask nicely and explain.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Should the food on the cruise be a carvery style buffet then just choose the foods you eat, failing that ask the waiting staff to supplement potatoes, rice, pasta & desserts etc for alternative food, most pubs and restaurants are happy to oblige so can't see why a cruise ship would be any different.

Widdy1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

After struggling for years with my weight and BS, now I am getting under control, I don't want to let slip the good work.

America is not so much of a problem, as we tend to cook our own food outside on the grill :D

saz1

Regarding America, my friend lives there and most places there supply low carb options on the menus as long as the places are not out in the stick!

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They do great steaks and salads!! :thumbup:

Widdy1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
My friend has a massive Grill/Smoker, so it will be grilled Steak, Chicken, Fish and Smoked Ham with loads of Salad.

Fish when we go out or a Steak and Salad.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I went on a 2 week cruise last September and managed very well. I had a cooked breakfast without carbs each morning and a low sugar dessert with coffee for lunch. the 5 course dinners had enough choices to do low carb there too. Fine dining has not got a lot of carbs anyway. I also used the stairs and not the lifts and did exercise classes and dance classes pretty much every day.I swam too.
Bg stayed on target and I lost a kilo :D

johnofyork

We went cruisng end of 2012 and one of the other men on our table had serious type 1 diabetes. He informed the Maitre'd and each evening the MD came to the table with the following night's menus and they jointly agreed a choice for the following night. Sometimes this was done by mixing and matching from the menu but some nights he had something entirely different. Then his "personal meal" was served to him without any fuss whatsoever. For breakfast and lunches he selected from the buffet - so much choice that he had no problem. My DB is diet controlled and I was always able to select from the menu with occassional requests for sauce to be omitted. We cruised P&O and they were extremely helpful.
I am sure that you will enjoy your criuse but do ensure that you talk to the MD on the first night or even before the cruise.
The only problem I had was envy!!!
:D :D

PS Most ships have a walking/jogging track for the exercise or else a well equiped Gym so no excuses!!

Christinelh

Dislikes
Housework Swearing Poor manners soaps on tv
I did that and found it was great, but they will not give in if you fancy something different, but they do if you really wish, the meals did not always have the sauces and lots of nice deserts no added sugar very enjoyable. I like P&O as the whole menu is altered starters, deserts, sauces, etc... But my diabetic team said this is not at all nessasary