Low Carb and exercise

Ehlana

Guys need some advice please.

I have been sticking to a low GI diet for the past 4 - 5 years with success, I have managed to lose 5 stone and get my BS down to 5 - 6. I'm a type 2 with PCOS on Metformin so losing weight has always been a struggle.

12 months ago I started running and weight training seriously - I am now at 20 miles a week running and weight training twice a week minimum. I have another 2 stone to lose and was considering trying low carb. However, I can find no information for low carb diets for people that exercise! Do I have to increase the number of carbs I eat when I run and by how much? I have tried to go down to 50g a day but it just leaves me very weak and unable to run.

Would appreciate any information on this please as its new territory for me.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm sure that Benstein has writen on this subject, so try his book "Dr. Bernstein's diabetes Solution.
I'm also pretty sure that I've seen a low carb athletes website quoted somewhere.Google should find it.
I don't do anything like as much exercise as you, but it does add up to several hours per week of gym, swimming pool and walking.( nowadays often pushing a buggy)
I'm pretty low carb( 20 - 30 per day) and haven't found this a problem. I use Metformn only and it doesn't cause me any trouble. I too have another 2 stones to lose and need to up my exercise to get there. ( difficult at 62, and a stroke survivor. My co-ordination is useless.)
I just looked at my "Bernstein" and exercise is mentioned in seveal places, just not all together.
Good Luck
Yoiu'll make it work
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ehlana said:
Guys need some advice please.

I have been sticking to a low GI diet for the past 4 - 5 years with success, I have managed to lose 5 stone and get my BS down to 5 - 6. I'm a type 2 with PCOS on Metformin so losing weight has always been a struggle.

12 months ago I started running and weight training seriously - I am now at 20 miles a week running and weight training twice a week minimum. I have another 2 stone to lose and was considering trying low carb. However, I can find no information for low carb diets for people that exercise! Do I have to increase the number of carbs I eat when I run and by how much? I have tried to go down to 50g a day but it just leaves me very weak and unable to run.

Would appreciate any information on this please as its new territory for me.

Here is a link to an American site, which while not perfect, has much advice regarding all Sports and Diabetes. Take a look.
http://www.runsweet.com/DiabetesAndSport.html

Ehlana

Thanks guys for the links,

The more I read, the more I realise that I have to find my optimal carb limits and that its ok to have extra carbs for when I run. Looks like my best bet is to keep lowering them day by day.

Has anyone tried the protein shakes and bars? They have been recommended, but are an expensive experiment!

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I have used protein shakes but of my own making so I can control it and keep it cheap. Message me if you want my recipe. After LC for nearly a year I was so pleased with my progress that I allowed some low carb bars and yes, they are expensive so limited to occasional treats only. Found that I have to avoid bars or sugar free sweets with maltitol and they caused an unacceptable rise in my BG. For a long time I made batches of cheese cake muffins, froze some and put the rest in the fridge. They were my treats/snacks but I find that I don't need to snack so much these days.

Not a massive fan of exercise but I did tennis, two stretch classes, one gentle aerobic group, line dancing and folk dancing each week before low carbing and still do today with no noticeable loss of energy, just 19 kgs of weight!