Low carb and stuck

Worthingbloy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain, lies, needless items
Hi all, so I’m 4 weeks in low carb and feel absolutely fine. However my BG fasting is in between 7-8 at waking and then about the same at a fast of 16 hours. I’m drinking water at 3 litres and 3 cups of filter coffee. I’m keeping carbs no higher than 30g per day and protein at 170g and fats at 156g. It’s a pretty clean diet. I’ve got Keto sticks and no ketones are showing. I just can’t seem to get the BG levels below 7. I’ve had one at 6.4 but nothing consistent. And seemingly without doing anything different. When I eat the BG returns to roughly the same at 2 hours. I’m eating 2 meals a day, with a snack at bed of full fat Greek Yogurt and berries. Is there anything I can do or is it a matter of patience? I’ve also downloaded my sugar app and log on this...average 7.4
I’m weight training in the PM after my first meal.
Thanks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you’re doing fine. What were your average blood sugars before you started keto?

You could tweak to eliminate the late snack (increase a meal size if necessary) and that should help to reduce numbers a bit by extending your fast and increasing insulin sensitivity.

Aside from that, I’d say give it some more time.

Reactions: Worthingbloy

Worthingbloy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sounds like you’re doing fine. What were your average blood sugars before you started keto?

You could tweak to eliminate the late snack (increase a meal size if necessary) and that should help to reduce numbers a bit by extending your fast and increasing insulin sensitivity.

Aside from that, I’d say give it some more time.

Thanks for this...in the 10 plus range when I started, I’m comfortable with the figures but stubborn readings are doing my head in. Yes I was thinking of dropping my late night snack. (Reluctantly though...love the feelings of the naughtiness of it, even though I know it’s not too bad)
Patience then...
Thanks

Reactions: Goonergal

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi @Worthingbloy
Sounds like you are doing all the right things, eventually you will see the benefits. It's taken all of your life to get where you are now, your not going to fix it in just a few weeks. I stopped bothering with a fasting reading because nothing I did made any difference. So I concentrated on the before and after food readings they were the ones I could influence. You are doing great, don't get discouraged.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
It takes time and you are doing fine. Exercise and diet really helps with my levels. :)

Reactions: Worthingbloy

Worthingbloy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks all...knowing I’m not alone helps...