Low Carb Bread question

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried some low carb bread today that I had bought from Hand Crafted Breaf. I had 2 slices from their 400g loaf tin and made BLT open sandwichs. About 30mins after eating it my Stomach felt really uncomfortable and this lasted a good 2-3 hours. Is this normal with this type of bread or is it just me?

• Hug
Reactions: MissMuffett

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have been experimenting quite a bit to find a sustainable recipe for homemade low carb bread. Have discovered low carb bread recipes substitute some of the flour for 'vital wheat gluten' which is much lower in carbs. Therefore perhaps the gluten in the bread was a little bit too much for your digestion?

100g vital wheat gluten has 13g of carbs
100g strong bread flour has 79g of carbs = quite a carb saving.

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried some low carb bread today that I had bought from Hand Crafted Breaf. I had 2 slices from their 400g loaf tin and made BLT open sandwichs. About 30mins after eating it my Stomach felt really uncomfortable and this lasted a good 2-3 hours. Is this normal with this type of bread or is it just me?
Not part of my experience. I eat 1/2 slices of a low carb ancient grain bread occasionally without too much effect on my BGs and my tum seems to handle it pretty well

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have been experimenting quite a bit to find a sustainable recipe for homemade low carb bread. Have discovered low carb bread recipes substitute some of the flour for 'vital wheat gluten' which is much lower in carbs. Therefore perhaps the gluten in the bread was a little bit too much for your digestion?

100g vital wheat gluten has 13g of carbs
100g strong bread flour has 79g of carbs = quite a carb saving.
That Is a possibility. Maybe next time I will try just one slice and see how it goes.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did the bread contain psyllium husk as that can cause the symptoms you describe too?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, yes it does. Is it something I would get used to do you think?
Not really sure sorry. I guess you could gradually increase the amount you eat?

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does the bread include wheat or wheat gluten? I find that I feel a bit odd after eating the SRSLY Low Carb bread. I haven't been diagnosed with any wheat intolerance, but I have hardly eaten any wheat since diagnosis with diabetes.