Low carb bread.

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anyone tried LC Bread made with flax seeds? I have a recipe I can share if anyone is interested. Some ingredients that I won't find in the kitchen so have just ordered online

Reactions: kimrooney89

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So here goes – I have ordered a few of the more unusual ingredients online and will be trying this asap. This will likely be the most expensive bread in the world though but who cares – I love bread and haven’t had any at all for a very long time!

This makes 1 small Loaf

Bread is by far the hardest thing in life to go without when you first change the way you eat. It’s also near impossible to find zero carb bread that genuinely does have zero carbs, let alone that tastes good. It’s apparently “toastable” too – whoopee!

Note on flax seeds – you need to buy the seeds whole and grind them in a coffee grinder otherwise the recipe will not work if you buy pre-ground since all the oils will have been extracted.

2 whole eggs
½ cup of water
5 tbsp olive oil
250g golden flax seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp xylitol
½ tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp sesame seeds
25g whole brown flax seeds
1tsp fennel seeds, bashed in a pestle & mortar
40g pumpkin seeds
5 egg whites, whisked to stiff peaks

· Preheat oven to 180 C or Gas mark 4 and grease small loaf tin (approx. 150x100x75mm)
· In a small bowl, whisk together the whole eggs and the water with the olive oil
· In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together
· Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined
· Fold the egg whites until completely incorporated
· Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 45min
· Cool & serve. Bread can be kept for a few days and is perfect for freezing.

Loaves could be spiced up with some experimentation – maybe some dry chillies, cheese or sun dried tomatoes? Please let me know how you get on, especially if you get there before I do!

Reactions: kimrooney89