Low carb diet and exercise

sarahb84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I go to the gym 2/3 times a week but from tomorrow I am attempting the low carb high fat diet. I'm starting at 100g of carbs to start with to see how I get on as I've had lots of carbs per day in the past.

What do I do though when I exercise? Last wee after the gym I was on verge of hypo so got a jacket potato in town (slimming world diet) but now that's not really a good option.

How do u cope with low carving and exercise and insulin?

I'm scared tbh

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I go to the gym 2/3 times a week but from tomorrow I am attempting the low carb high fat diet. I'm starting at 100g of carbs to start with to see how I get on as I've had lots of carbs per day in the past.

What do I do though when I exercise? Last wee after the gym I was on verge of hypo so got a jacket potato in town (slimming world diet) but now that's not really a good option.

I'm scared tbh
Welcome to the forum @sarahb84. When you exercise and put the body under high energy output, you need a replacement to ensure you are not prone to hypos. When you are taking insulin, you are very prone to hypoglycemia. Glucose tablets, jelly beans or some form of liquid that will replace glucose lost to exercise should be handy to avoid disaster. Remember, you are prone to low blood sugar because of injected insulin, be prepared at all times. Also beware of rebound situations where you can bounce into high levels. It is a balancing act that takes time to learn.

kimlala

I'm scared tbh
Hi @sarah84, I too had problems with exercising and hypos. One person suggested adjusting my dose of my basal insulin (Caterpillar) and eating something small before my runs. This has been working for me, as I was clueless on what to do, except take glucose tablets. :)