low carb diet for impaired fasting glucose

Trinkwasser

Jo123 said:
Trinkwasser said:
I'd be quite happy with numbers like that. In fact i *am* quite happy with numbers like that!

Thanks for the reassurance, when I get my monitor back I will be interested to see what adding a bit more carbs do to the figures. If I can increase my carbs without affecting the figures will I hopefully stave off full blown diabetes for longer. Or would I be better give my family history stick to low carb, say around 50-60 a day which I estimate I am currently eating, to give myself a better chance for staying ok for longer?
I have to say I cannot believe the energy I have now, I used to feel tired most of the time and thought it was because I was getting older, now I am far more energetic!

If it ain't broke don't fix it! <G> it's worth doing some tinkering to fine tune things and see how you may respond differently at different times of day, for example I can do about twice as many carbs in the evening as at breakfast, a friend is severely limited at breakfast but can do far more than me in the evening without spiking.

Jo123

Trinkwasser said:
Jo123 said:
Trinkwasser said:
I'd be quite happy with numbers like that. In fact i *am* quite happy with numbers like that!

Thanks for the reassurance, when I get my monitor back I will be interested to see what adding a bit more carbs do to the figures. If I can increase my carbs without affecting the figures will I hopefully stave off full blown diabetes for longer. Or would I be better give my family history stick to low carb, say around 50-60 a day which I estimate I am currently eating, to give myself a better chance for staying ok for longer?
I have to say I cannot believe the energy I have now, I used to feel tired most of the time and thought it was because I was getting older, now I am far more energetic!

If it ain't broke don't fix it! <G> it's worth doing some tinkering to fine tune things and see how you may respond differently at different times of day, for example I can do about twice as many carbs in the evening as at breakfast, a friend is severely limited at breakfast but can do far more than me in the evening without spiking.

Thanks Trinkwasser, your posts are always extremely helpful, I have go my monitor back at last, also got my copy of Bernstein's book, on reading bits of it will definitely stick with the low carb so as to keep things going as long as possible and prevent myself going into diabetes proper. Only thing with the low carb is after years of low saturated fat (always had loads of extra virgin olive oil and fish) I feel really guilty having cream with my coffee!! Also reading the drinking thread with interest as I will have a few days with rather too much to drink but hey you gotta enjoy yourself sometimes! Hope you have a good christmas :)

Trinkwasser

Jo123 said:
Thanks Trinkwasser, your posts are always extremely helpful, I have go my monitor back at last, also got my copy of Bernstein's book, on reading bits of it will definitely stick with the low carb so as to keep things going as long as possible and prevent myself going into diabetes proper. Only thing with the low carb is after years of low saturated fat (always had loads of extra virgin olive oil and fish) I feel really guilty having cream with my coffee!! Also reading the drinking thread with interest as I will have a few days with rather too much to drink but hey you gotta enjoy yourself sometimes! Hope you have a good christmas :)

I'll pass your thanks on to the kind folks I learned from.

Even the ADA is now admitting that monounsaturated fat is a good thing to replace the excess carb with, also polyunsaturates are useful as long as you have a good balance of Omega 3 to O6.

The saturated fat thing is more complicated, some are less beneficial than others but I have difficulty remembering which is which: in general dairy fats will do little harm as long as you don't take them with the almost mandatory excessive carbs. The real danger is the trans fats which were used to replace the "dangerous" dairy fats in marg as opposed to butter.

You can tell if you're heading in the right direction from your lipid panels, assuming your accountants allow you to have them.

I had a mince pie today but I can't seem to find my meter anywhere, strange that <G> I think I may have got away with it because it was in between two walks which should have helped burn the glucose off. I'll try to be better at Christmas <G> seasonal regards to you too