Low Carb - Falling off the wagon

Andrew337

I normally largely manage to keep to a very low carb regime. At one point I even put my diabetes into remission. I am less rigid now and so I suspect I am not in remission now. I went away for 5 days on a school trip (I am a teacher) and all the food was high carb, so I ate it. What impact does this have on me? What if I binge on carbs for a week? What does it actually do to my body, does it do it permanent harm? I know I can bring my levels down if I drink a lot of water, though I wasn't even doing enough of that to be honest. Thanks, Andrew

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I recovered from Xmas and Easter and those days in the month with an 'R' in them where I take a holiday from my low carb diet. The result this year was that my HbA1c rose from 45 to 46, and that is after stopping my Metformin cold turkey (yum? Oh thats the other turkey), Even if you were in full keto mode when you dropped off the wagon, it should be recoverable but may take a while since you recharged your liver stores by the binge. Considering the length of time you had ginormous humungous sugar levels prior to diagnosis, a week will pale into low risk category

Reactions: AloeSvea

Andrew337

Thanks O. I guess I just wondered what kind of damage it does to long term health. To binge all the time, of course is not good and would strain the cardio vascular system I guess, so, I suspect that a week's binge is just not good, but it's probably hard to quantify. Perhaps I should wait a few weeks before I do another HBA1C.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks O. I guess I just wondered what kind of damage it does to long term health. To binge all the time, of course is not good and would strain the cardio vascular system I guess, so, I suspect that a week's binge is just not good, but it's probably hard to quantify. Perhaps I should wait a few weeks before I do another HBA1C.
HbA1c requires 3 months minimum between successsive ones. The reading itself is effectively an average value of the previous 3 months, so one week is not really going to show up.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would add that some of us, yup me included, find that after overindulging on carbs the after effect can be carb craving that can take at least as long as the overindulge period to conquer.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would add that some of us, yup me included, find that after overindulging on carbs the after effect can be carb craving that can take at least as long as the overindulge period to conquer.
I found bulletproof coffees quite effective in seeing off the cravings. The fat hits the saiety button. Fat is also compatible with keto.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found bulletproof coffees quite effective in seeing off the cravings. The fat hits the saiety button. Fat is also compatible with keto.
Great if your digestion can cope with it. Mine can’t , unfortunately.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, that can be a drawback. My sympathies. I too have a limit above which I get billious. Funnily enough I bought sone double cream today for that very purpose, to stop carb creep. as I am trying to recover from the removal of my dapagliflozin med last week. It wasn;t doing much for me anyway sugarwise, but was there because my cardio team like it. My body certainly did not which is why it had to go.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Andrew337

I'm in exactly the same boat. I've just returned from a week in Southwold and eaten everything that I wanted, and enjoyed every mouthful. I had fish, chips, peas, and tartar sauce, costing £16, at the Crown Inn in Woodbridge, and boy they were the best fish and chips I've tasted. Worth coming off the wagon for! However, arriving home on Saturday I was straight back onto a low carb diet. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, just move on.