Low Carb from a younger perspective!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With respect LemonTree, it's my job to do this for oncology drugs, I'm just applying my knowledge to blood glucose instead of a cancer biomarker. Sixteen hours or so at 10 mmol/l in the week before my HbA1c would have increased it, I've worked it out. I'm afraid there's no "maybe" in it.

I've never found the mean average to work when calculating my HbA1c, for the reason given above. Some people will find it works, particularly if your levels are relatively stable, but it has no physical relation to the HbA1c level.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done candiedmittens.

Like you I also went a bit crazy during my teen years and didn't look after myself at all. Luckily I didn't manage to get DKA but I think that was just pure luck!

I'm a little older than you (but have had diabetes for 15yrs like you) and it has taken me a long time to get round to low carbing. For me personally I have found it great and I'm soooo much happier with my BS levels.

I hope your story does inspire younger people as low carb can seem scary at first, but when you get used to it it is enjoyable.

Well done for taking control and getting the Hba1c down :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
KatieCook said:
Hi candiedmittens, a very inspiring story of turning your life around and the best of future health you... I'm new to the forums and I'd really, really appreciate ideas and advice about lo-carb diets as that's what I follow (I can't understand why people would do anything else). I'm 41 and I've been a T1 for 32 years.

I know we are all very different and male experiences will be different to women's because of hormones etc, but I'd love to hear day to day stories of what people do when they are following lo-carb diets. What do you eat, how many carbs do you eat per meal? How much insulin do you take with meals? What are your basal doses? How often do you test? I seem to have problems in particular with hypos first thing in the morning with my lo-carb diet. I appreciate that it's hard to give out advice when you don't know about the person's entire situation or medical background but I'm sure I'll find all shared experiences useful.

Thanks all! (PS - it's my ambition to get my HbA1cs - which have been mid 6s/early 7s for the last 11 years or so - down to the early 6s or even to join the fabled 5% club. Any other type 1s out there who have got their HbA1cs to this level?

Hi Katie.

I eat the following:
Breakfast: homemade linseed crackers with cheese
Lunch: linseed crackers with meat, salad with some kind of protein (eg meat, cheese)
Dinner: courgette spaghetti with meatballs, low carb pizza, carbonara, curry (& lots more). For these I substitute grains for veg,eg with the curry I have cauliflower rice not rice.

I adjust my insulin depending on the size of my meal (I weigh everything to work out the carb and protein in the food and then calculate based on this)
Breakfast: 2.50u (I tend to eat the same everyday)
Lunch: 0.60u- 1.50u
Dinner: 2.50 - 4,50u

My basal Is given by a pump and I'm currently adjusting these.

I test before meals (& I'm trying to test after too but I'm not as good at this), before bed, before driving, before and after exercise.

I agree with the other people who said it sounds like your basal is too high if you're low in the morning. I'm currently having the same issue (i don't know why my insulin requirements have dropped again but they have) so I am dropping my basal rates slowly till I can keep my sugar levels steady. In order to do this on the pump I am waking up every 2 hours to test. Annoying, but has to be done!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App