Low carb, good non animal fats?

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

Animal fats (cheese, meat other than chicken) just don't go down well, I put on a lot of weight. low carb is under control.
What good high non animal fats can I eat?

BTW: do carbs in vegetables count too?

Thanks
Alicki

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

Animal fats (cheese, meat other than chicken) just don't go down well, I put on a lot of weight. low carb is under control.

Thanks
Alicki
I don't eat very much animal fat, I have oily fish such as salmon or mackerel, extra virgin olive oil, avocado, a few nuts - the skin off the chicken, eggs - the yolks have good fats. I don't really eat a lot of fat just enough to keep me satisfied otherwise I put weight on too

Yep carbs in veg count - all carbs count and if you are on a very low carb diet the carbs from veggies do add up quite quickly

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great! I would like to go the same way as you. Any websites you have used as inspiration?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I avoid animal fats, dairy, most saturated fats.
Lots of veg, salad, fish, olive oil, olives, but I need to keep control of the calories.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
And does it work? In cutting down on carbs and avoiding animal fats and dairy, I find that I'm struggling to get up to 1000 calories per day. So guess I need to up on nuts and olives!!!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And does it work? In cutting down on carbs and avoiding dairy, I find that I'm struggling to get up to 1000 calories per day. So guess I need to up on nuts and olives!!!

I find if I need to put on weight, I eat more. If I need to lose weight I eat less.
If you eat fat, your body uses that, rather than your own body fat. If you eat more fat than you burn, your body stores it. If you eat less, your body burns it's fat reserves.

It takes a few days for the changes to happen, but I track my calorie intake quite well.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

Thanks
Alicki

Hi @Alicki ,

I found that eating a lot of Greek yoghurt made me put on weight and be very hungry. My explanation is that dairy is insulinogenic. Since I have been looking into reducing my animal product consumption a lot. It has worked too, and my sugars are quite good these days. I need to watch the carbs, though, as some veggies are quite high in them.

In terms of fat I use a lot of olive and coconut oil. Say, office lunch would be a salad with some form of protein, drowned in olive oil to keep me going for the rest of the working day. I eat tons of nuts and seeds, and need to watch them too. I can easily eat 1000 calories in one go!