Low carb high fat. Anyone been Type 2 for more than a few years?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and one more thing...low fat high carb...anyone tried that for more than a few years? I did. Most of my adult life. That’s why I’m here now :nurse:

Just a bit of friendly banter. No ill will intended ;)
Me too - low fat, low sugar, wholemeal bread, brown pasta and rice, jacket potatoes because they were muchhhhh healthier than chips and plenty of fruit inc one banana per day. Used to love banana sandwiches with wholemeal bread particularly as it was so good for me:banghead:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Me too - low fat, low sugar, wholemeal bread, brown pasta and rice, jacket potatoes because they were muchhhhh healthier than chips and plenty of fruit inc one banana per day. Used to love banana sandwiches with wholemeal bread particularly as it was so good for me:banghead:
Mmmmmmm banana butties!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly that is Me Too! I felt so virtuous - all those 'healthy carbs'. I was the 'poster girl' for healthy low fat living . How wrong can anyone be. I had absolutely no idea that I was setting myself up for long term health problems. If course the clues were all there - the problems with carb cravings and weight gain, the tiredness and frequent infections and illnesses etc. etc.

Looking back I cannot believe that I followed this for so many years. I started with Rosemary Conley in the early 80s to 2016 when I went low carb. In 2012 diagnosed with an hba1c of 125 after a dramatic weight loss. I went on an even stricter high healthy carb and low fat regime which resulted in a 3 stone weight gain.

Now in 2029 - no more insulin injections, neuropathy, macular oedema and have lost the 3 stone and am inching my way back to full health.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly that is Me Too! I felt so virtuous - all those 'healthy carbs'. I was the 'poster girl' for healthy low fat living . How wrong can anyone be. I had absolutely no idea that I was setting myself up for long term health problems. If course the clues were all there - the problems with carb cravings and weight gain, the tiredness and frequent infections and illnesses etc. etc.

Looking back I cannot believe that I followed this for so many years. I started with Rosemary Conley in the early 80s to 2016 when I went low carb. In 2012 diagnosed with an hba1c of 125 after a dramatic weight loss. I went on an even stricter high healthy carb and low fat regime which resulted in a 3 stone weight gain.

Now in 2029 - no more insulin injections, neuropathy, macular oedema and have lost the 3 stone and am inching my way back to full health.

Kristy a, is 2029 a typo, or a prediction for the future? ;):):)

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes that happened to me too Krystyna - I slavishly followed the Rosemary Conley low fat diet for years - and look where it got me!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Cult?

No.

What i see on this forum is a group of people who are giving up their free time to offer a helping hand to those who need it. The people receiving that help don't have to take it if they chose not to. Its up to them.

I can't count the amount of times I've seen forum members patiently being a counsellor, friend, mentor and listener to the many people who come here in panic and distress from their diagnosis.

Human nature being what it is, I think it would be odd for anyone to recommend a course of action that didn't work for them - personally I went the meds route (insulin and two kinds of tablets) straight after diagnosis and became very ill, low carbing returned me to feeling 'normal' quite quickly and so I offer suggestions and advice based on my positive low carb experience.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm probably guilty of a bit of fervour because I'm really surprised at how well LCHF with intermittent fasting (even my imperfect version with lapses) worked for me. I intend to continue long term and that in itself is astonishing, because I have never been one of life's winners at dietary control.

I get a bit excited about it because I had given up on myself and was preparing for bariatric (ironically, the autocorrect wants to make that "barbaric"!) surgery.

Finding a method that works, and makes me not only not miserable but actually mentally happy and physically thriving, does get me excited and I share my thoughts and experiences here because it is thanks to some members of the forums that I found my way to it. The encouragement and support is very helpful.

Admittedly I'm new to it - but after a just a few months my blood test results were returned with "Excellent results!" noted by my Dr. after I spoke with him about what I was doing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s actually dangerous if you have kidney disease. Just saying this to see if others like me just drop out because everyone is focused on a single solution. I’ve been Type 2 for over thirty years and plant based worked for me for about fifteen years. But then the carbs caught up, I developed a range of chronic problems and high blood pressure caused kidney failure (not diabetes). Mostly through a very high stress work environment, I’d love a dietary solution but I can’t find one that’s low carb (which I am because I can’t tolerate it, even tomato raises my bsl), low fat because I have heart failure, and low protein because of kidney disease. And like most on here the only advice from dietitians is the standard same old same old. And from endo - here’s a wonderful new med to make you sicker and tireder. Or n the case of insulin -fatter.
Have you ever had your insulin levels tested by any of your HCP's?

D

Deleted member 308541

Low carb high fat. Anyone been Type 2 for more than a few years?
I have been T2 for five years and borderline prediabetic for near on twenty, and I have been following the LCHF way for three years.

It reduced my bgl down to where I am now, I could say I was in remission but I still take Metformin.

Reactions: jpscloud

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Loved banana sandwiches, with some honey too.... :banghead::)

D

Deleted member 308541

Loved banana sandwiches, with some honey too.... :banghead::)
I remember the day well when I last had deep fried banana fritters, same with the native bee honey I put on them.
Dwe01us.gif

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I remember the day well when I last had deep fried banana fritters, same with the native bee honey I put on them.
Dwe01us.gif

Lot of things are on the "I remember when" food wise list these days. Fairy bread, blackberry jam sandwiches from blackberries picked along the road and all manner of things.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cultish fervour?? :banghead: Reducing carbs has been known as a treatment for diabetes since the late 1700s. It's only in the last 40-50 years that there's been a mistaken belief that we should cut out normal healthy fats which have been replaced with higher carb food instead. So reducing those unnecessary carbs again is plain common sense IMO.

I've always eaten normal full fat food as did my parents who lived to a ripe old age (mum was in her mid 90s.)
I certainly don't believe in needing to stuff my face with fats, but eating enough to provide major energy rquirements (instead relying solely on carbs) is actually normal - the way we're designed to work and a much more efficient use of both dietary and stored "fuel".

Apart from cutting out all the high carb food - which I don't actually miss - the rest of my diet is, with some extra fat, very similar to what I've always eaten, and I've reduced and kept my glucose levels for the most part to low pre-diabetic/high normal for just over 5 years now.
I eat LCHF because it both makes absolute sense to me and it works. Simply put: my body can no longer handle carbs correctly so I've reduced them to the point where my ancient pancreas is able to cope again. (Same as with food related migraines, I learned to avoid those trigger foods...) My diet has also resolved other non diabetic issues, such as a lifetime's chronic migraines and more recently 5-6 nightmare years worth of living like a brain dead zombie pre diagnosis.. I no longer take any diabetic meds (metformin) , and I've been able reduce some non-diabetic ones too.

Robbity

Reactions: Indy51 and Guzzler

Ponchu

I think the origin of “cultish” is when people associate their identity w food.

Secondly, the experience of regained health leads to exuberance.

It has for me and I can sound almost religious —I’ve got to keep it tempered.

Reactions: zand

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm amazed at the cultish fervour on here for LCHF. I’ve never seen anything about the risks or anyone saying it doesn’t work, might be dangerous for some people? So is this purely a beginners forum?

Low carb made total sense to me before I found this site. Why would you continue to eat carbs if, as a diabetic, your body can’t cope with them? Surely you reduce or stop the source of the problem? Seems logical to me but I do like learning about nutrition and don’t blindly follow what my doc or DN thinks. Amazing results for me speaks for itself... I knew immediately when given the booklet by the DN that it didn’t make sense to be eating all that bread and pasta.

Reactions: Indy51

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been on various diets for years, Rosemary Conley was a favourite - all that exercise made you feel that you really should be losing weight - along with the low fat high fibre diet. And wondered why I just seemed to put on weight rather than losing it! I'm T2 and on insulin and have been for the last twelve years. I found this site and was struck by the sense of the LCHF diet. Having kidney problems as well as various other problems I took it carefully and consulted with the renal dietitian, and together we worked out the most sensible eating plan for me. This was a new way of eating to her, and the renal clinic have kept a close eye on my bloods and general progress. I lost nearly four stone last year and got my Hba1c down to 36. I still stick to my food plan, I prefer fish to meat now but do have occasional lapses. I think that I'm lucky with both my diabetic and renal clinic staff, and my GP - I can talk to them all, and they listen, as the results are there to be seen. I do not consider myself easily influenced, I try to work things out for myself. So I believe that LCHF can work, but maybe with some adjustments for the individual.

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me