Low carb, intermittent fasting and 5:2 combination

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been trying to reduce my BG levels and to lose weight for years now and about 18 months ago started on a low carb programme. It hasn't helped at all. So I added Intermittent Fasting to the mix - about a month ago. Still no help so I added 5:2 dieting a couple of weeks ago. I don't have any problem sticking to these diets, in fact I do have problems eating sufficient on "non-fasting" days. However, only in the last couple of days have I seen any fall in BG levels and even then still not within range most of the time. But I thought "it's finally working". Then I realised that I have been taking a higher than normal insulin dose overnight (up from 60 units a couple of months ago, via 62,64 and now 65). That must be what is making the difference. My weight hasn't dropped by even an ounce.

I have discovered that even eating a little carbohydrate makes my BG rocket but without really going to town on the insulin, I don't think I can bring the levels down sufficiently.

The only actual difficulty I have with the diet(s) is constipation, causing serious pain in what I assume is an inflamed area of my gut. So the question is, am I wasting my time and effort or should I just give up and take more insulin? I'm trying to get an appointment to see the only doctor I know around here who actually recommends low carbing, but it's not easy.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure I can help but have you ever had your endogenous insulin production tested?
You'll find it quite hard to lose weight if you are overproducing insulin in your body and then adding more in exogenously.
How much weight do you have to lose?
Your under-eating may also be a problem.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure I can help but have you ever had your endogenous insulin production tested?
You'll find it quite hard to lose weight if you are overproducing insulin in your body and then adding more in exogenously.
How much weight do you have to lose?
Your under-eating may also be a problem.

Thanks for your reply @bulkbiker. I had a C-peptide test done and at the same time they checked insulin levels. The level was higher than expected, but not alarmingly so. I didn't query that because I was not aware that it might be an issue. The doctor I spoke to thought I was "probably" insulin resistant. This is why I have been trying to use diet to get my blood glucose levels under control. A by-product, if it had worked, would have been some weight loss (I am about 7 stone overweight - been creeping up over the years while I was dieting to try to stop it happening).

I know that under-eating may also be a problem because, I suppose, my metabolism may just slow down to match. This is why I am beginning to wonder if I am going down the right road here. Is there any other danger I should be watching out for?

I am attempting to get an appointment with the one and only doctor here who seems to be aware of low carbing to help deal with T2. No success so far.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply @bulkbiker. I had a C-peptide test done and at the same time they checked insulin levels. The level was higher than expected, but not alarmingly so. I didn't query that because I was not aware that it might be an issue. The doctor I spoke to thought I was "probably" insulin resistant. This is why I have been trying to use diet to get my blood glucose levels under control. A by-product, if it had worked, would have been some weight loss (I am about 7 stone overweight - been creeping up over the years while I was dieting to try to stop it happening).

I know that under-eating may also be a problem because, I suppose, my metabolism may just slow down to match. This is why I am beginning to wonder if I am going down the right road here. Is there any other danger I should be watching out for?

I am attempting to get an appointment with the one and only doctor here who seems to be aware of low carbing to help deal with T2. No success so far.

Well adding in extra insulin if you are already an overproducer probably won't help and if you believe the insulin leads to weight gain theory (as I do) then it would explain your results.