Low carb is the coming thing

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I went to see the doctor about a non diabtes problem and asked for my repeats, whilst I was there. They would be due in a week anyway! I told him I've cut back to about 20 carbs per day and he said that THEY are coming round to low carbs now. I do have a lovely doctor! and I've taught him a lot.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hana,
We'll have to send you off on a crusade to every GP surgery in Berkshire to spread the word!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I know my doctor meets up with the local consultant on the golf course. Thats where the chat goes on. I don't play golf

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
For ages I thought it was Wilde who'd said "Golf is a good walk spoiled", turns out it was Twain, it's still true 99 years after his death :D

chocoholic

I thought it was Oscar Wilde too, tubolard. I just asked hubby and he thought so too. I wonder why we all think that. How odd.

mikecarter

chocoholic said:
I thought it was Oscar Wilde too, tubolard. I just asked hubby and he thought so too. I wonder why we all think that. How odd.

Because the Maginificent Magpie , as he was known , probably did. When James Whistler said something inceredibly witty, Wilde uttered, " I wish I'd said that." To which Whistler replied, "You will Oscar, you will."

There does seem to be a lot more pro low carbing press about. Or is it just that it catches my eye?

Keep the Faith!
Mike

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
mikecarter said:
There does seem to be a lot more pro low carbing press about. Or is it just that it catches my eye?

I think once you know about something it catches your eye. I once bought a car that was a USA inport, the dealer said you'll never see another like it. Driving home I saw two, same make, model, and colour :shock:

I honestly believe low carbing is here to stay, although I don't low carb, just reduced the amount I eat :wink: There is a differance :roll: :lol:

Once a celebrity jumps on the bandwagon and says in some tatty magazine or daytime TV "My weight loss is all due to low carbing" it will be universally accepted. :lol: :lol: :lol:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, you may just be right.

My dad had his surgery and things were not good for quite some time. He spent some time on CICU where they struggled to extubate him. His kidneys ceased functioning and of course, picked up a nasty infection. He is much better now and has been transferred to his local hospital. One of my nephews, a lovely, supportive and worried man, spent ten days by his side, caring for him.
I went down to see him on Friday, whereupon, he picked my brains about the uncontrolled diabetes dad is suffering and we got into a conversation about carbs and insulin. Now, Steve is an intelligent and inquisitive man but has not had the education he was entitled to. He understood completely.

The next day, he approached one of the nurses on the ward to ask more questions and to ask why dads carb intake has not been considered in managing his diabetes and she positively beamed at him. They launched into a discussion and she promptly gave him this web address.

Understanding how carbs affect BS is slowly being recognised by some HCPs. Steve was overjoyed that someone understood.

If that nurse is reading this, thank you for taking care of my dad and all the other patients on the ward and having the intelligence to open your mind.

wiflib

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
I went to see the doctor about a non diabtes problem and asked for my repeats, whilst I was there. They would be due in a week anyway! I told him I've cut back to about 20 carbs per day and he said that THEY are coming round to low carbs now. I do have a lovely doctor! and I've taught him a lot.

If you look back through history, high carb will probably turn out to be a temporary fad.

Nasty nasty post about Ancel Keys

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low- ... ncel-keys/

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I don't think I would have liked Ancel Keys one little bit. I'm a good scientist and I go with the evidence. I remember once at uni that we'd used some technogizmo for following the progress of a chemical reaction. We'd then plotted out graphs to hand in to the lecurer. I remember mine being lampooned by the class "Genius/clown". "Don't you know how to draw a best straight line?" I was asked. and ridiculed for apparent lack of mathematical knowledge. Which student do you think handed in the ONLY CORRECTLY plotted Sigma curve? :roll:
Ancel Keys was a "line straightener" he "adjusted" the evidence to fit a pre-exixting theory

ChocFish

Wiflib - what a lovely story/post, let me join in to thank the nurse who guided your cousin in the right direction, I hope she reads this forum.

I hope that your Dad continues to improve and wish you and your family all the very best

Karen x

jopar

I'm not sure how to phrase this but here goes...

I don't follow a exteme low carb diet, I use my insulin delivery and where I need to restriction of portion size of a particular carb to get good results..

But It is essential that diabetics are trained in two areas, firstly good monitoring practices, they also need to understand all the different types of carbs there are and how these effect them as a individual...

This then enables a diabetic to decide what is best for them, be it that they can use there medication or insulin to counter react the carbs, or whether they need to restrict a individual type of carb, or come to the conclusion that they really have to avoid that type of carb completly if they want to maintain best control...

I think that it is important to have knowledge and tools that enable a individual to decide how they gain there control as they are more likely to maintain good choices and good control long term, than they might if they feel that they are being forced into something that they are unhappy with...

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
I don't think I would have liked Ancel Keys one little bit. I'm a good scientist and I go with the evidence. I remember once at uni that we'd used some technogizmo for following the progress of a chemical reaction. We'd then plotted out graphs to hand in to the lecurer. I remember mine being lampooned by the class "Genius/clown". "Don't you know how to draw a best straight line?" I was asked. and ridiculed for apparent lack of mathematical knowledge. Which student do you think handed in the ONLY CORRECTLY plotted Sigma curve? :roll:
Ancel Keys was a "line straightener" he "adjusted" the evidence to fit a pre-exixting theory

Results? Certainly Sir, which ones would you like to pay for today?

Trinkwasser

jopar said:
I'm not sure how to phrase this but here goes...

I don't follow a exteme low carb diet, I use my insulin delivery and where I need to restriction of portion size of a particular carb to get good results..

But It is essential that diabetics are trained in two areas, firstly good monitoring practices, they also need to understand all the different types of carbs there are and how these effect them as a individual...

This then enables a diabetic to decide what is best for them, be it that they can use there medication or insulin to counter react the carbs, or whether they need to restrict a individual type of carb, or come to the conclusion that they really have to avoid that type of carb completly if they want to maintain best control...

I think that it is important to have knowledge and tools that enable a individual to decide how they gain there control as they are more likely to maintain good choices and good control long term, than they might if they feel that they are being forced into something that they are unhappy with...

YES!

As a Type 1 on insulin though you probably managed to avoid being forced into something that doesn't work, which is common for Type 2s being pushed onto high carb diets by their Medical Professionals. And then prevented from testing so they can't see the appalling results. Sadly still very common, although individual medics do appear to be learning to do better.

Chris I

Hi,
Over recent years with the increase in understanding of low carb diets I've managed to resolve an occasional problem. My blood glucose was generally good on work days i.e. up at 6AM. However, on a day off or weekend, with the inevitable lie-in, my morning glucose levels were often worryingly higher. It is quite noticeable how a couple of hours longer in bed can raise morning glucose. This was overcome by decreasing my evening carb intake on nights before a day off. This of course had to be combined with the appropriate reduction in my evening insulin on these days.
I must admit that I’ve now adopted a general rule of low carb intake on most evenings which has generally improved control & lowered evening insulin requirement.
Has anyone adopted a general “low carb” approach to diet throughout the day? I’d be very interested to hear of your experiences.
Thanks, Chris.

Trinkwasser

Chris I said:
Has anyone adopted a general “low carb” approach to diet throughout the day? I’d be very interested to hear of your experiences.
Thanks, Chris.

Have a look in the Success Stories thread which I think is now in the Low Carb forum

My approach was this

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

which taught me I am limited to 15g carbs at breakfast but can do 30 and on occasion 50 in the evening, some people have a far steeper slope.

This approach has become common on most forums as well as the newsgroups where it seems to have originated: stories of A1c improvements of 5 - 8% are common for Type 2s. For Type 1s it takes more work to balance against your insulin

http://www.dsolve.com/

many people report better control on less insulin

Chris I

Hi Trinkwasser,
Thanks for your reply & the link to the low carb article. Really fascinating.
I must admit to being a bit of a blood testing fanatic & can get through 8-10 test strips a day.
From my own experiences I have found that a higher carb intake at breakfast & sometimes lunch give me good control throughout the working day with plently of energy & good concentration. I work in a busy hospital & things can be fairly hectic most days. However, if I was sitting in a meeting all day I'd lower the carb rather than raise the insulin. As my wife & I eat quite late, I've found that higher carb at that time isn't required, unless we have a busy evening planned & can affect morning glucose levels. Plenty of low carb veg. & a reasonalble portion of lean meat is the usual for the evening meal.
I suppose that being brought up with diabetes, carb & insulin balancing has become second nature. I don't folow any strong does & don'ts with diet. Regular testing before & after food is certainly the key. However, I have noticed much better weight control with the lower carb & insulin evening routine.
It's taken me 36 years to start talking openly about my diabetes & I'd just like to say that this website & forum has been a real eye opener. Thanks to you all.
Chris I.

Trinkwasser

Interesting. The carb intolerance in the morning is common to most but not all Type 2s, probably due to insulin resistance. You seem to have the opposite pattern. Some insulin users even Type 1s appear to have very different ratios at different times of day and others are much more even. That's the beauty of testing: you obviously seem to have a good grasp on your own system's responses especially with exertion.

Stick around, you can probably teach as much as you can learn!