Low Carb Lifestyle and Running

Sam5350

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon folks,

I have a question i dont know if anyone can help. Just been out to watch our local 5k and 10k race and got chatting to the Chairman of the local running club. They are starting another couch to 5k courses in May and i am keen to join but....dont runners have to 'carb up' before races etc?

How does that work on a low carb diet?

Feeling inspired today
PS day 7 of my low carb lifestyle :)

Reactions: Freema

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should watch the film Run on Fat. This is the first 6 minutes. The full film is available on dietdoctor.com
Run on Fat

Endurance runners can be fat adapted using ketogenesis rather than using glycogens. It does take some time to get used to this.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try reading up on Prof Tim Noakes and his more recent work on Low Carb performance athletes.
A low carb skeptic friend of mine who is also a distance runner suddenly became more interested in LCHF when I told him that the great Tim Noakes was an advocate.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sam5350 , I lowish carb (50-80g per day) and exercise on it with no problem. Not that I've ever done a marathon, but if ever I do (!) I hope to not hit the dreaded 'wall' they talk about because I'm already running on fat rather than carbs, so with luck my body doesn't need to go through that conversion stage during the (as yet hypothetical) marathon.

And nice one for going for it! I only started exercising regularly a couple of years ago, and wish I'd started sooner! I'm trimmer now and have more stamina. Parkrun is my new favourite thing - and I'm running my first 10k race a week on Sunday! Slowly mind, but still, I'll get round!

Have had to cut back my running training AGAIN thanks to a screwy foot, but am cycling and swimming a good deal in the meantime. I am not running on Tarmac until the race itself - I don't mind temporarily wrecking my foot as a result of the race, but I'll be well cheesed off if I aggravate the problem again BEFOREHAND and scupper my chances of that medal! And my body seems to thrive on eggs, Peperami and pork scratchings..... no pasta party for ME!

Go for it!

;)

Sam5350

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol Snapsy go you. The course starts in May but my gym membership through work starts next week so i am going to get in the pool and do some strength workouts.

My sister is running the marathon think i will stick to 5k and 10k lol