Low carb low fat diet?

rubecula

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anybody recomend a low carb diet suitable for someone with a heart condition? I note that the low carb info page says "People with a history of heart trouble may need to be careful about which fats they consume and may be advised to speak with a dietitian.".
I've just seen my GP today and been told that it will be a couple of months before I can see a dietician but I'm very keen to start on a low carb diet. Actually its my arteries that are the problem, not my heart. I'm told I have a good heart after having bypass surgery and that the biggest danger to it is diabetes. I'm T1 LADA.
Thanks
Robin

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I reckon that is going to be difficult. Are such people allowed "good" fats?

I have mackerel for breakfast (full of "good"fats fats). Salad with chicken breast and low fat mayo. Soups as well sometimes.

I'd be inclined to speak to a dietician (as useless as they are) first.

rubecula

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Sam, I'll have to wait then. :( I'm going to try low carb breakfasts as that is where my worst problems are. I'll wait till I have seen a dietician before moving to the other meals. I guess I was hoping that someone who had bypass surgery and was on a low carb diet might respond.
Thanks again,
Robin

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Rubecula , Please do not give up hope ! My name is Superchip ( Roy )

Short history - 1. 1992 3 heart attacks, 2. 1993 2 hearts attacks, 5X bypass op's. 3. 1994 Total heart transplant Papworth.

My advice ( if allowed, moderator ?) would be low carb ( <50g ) and lots of animal fats, and definitely NO STATINS !

This has kept me going 18 years post transplant ( but what do I know ?)

Please read as much as you can on these forums, there is a lot of good experience here !

Good luck Robin, you are in very good company here !

Roy

Edit: And do not be afraid of the bottle ( Wodka, in my case ! )

2nd Edit : Assuming that you are old enough to drink ! ( oops ! )

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I think you'd find the research work of John Yudkin in the 1970s quite illuminating.
Hana

rubecula

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Roy, what a hero, you've been through so much, makes my 5xCABG look quite pathetic.
Thanks for responding, I'll try not to ask too many questions.

Does your diet keep your blood glucose level or do you still have hypers and hypos?
Do you exercise? If so how do you avoid hypos?

I'm getting quite excited about the thought of eating cheese again :D

Hana, thanks for the tip, I've just ordered his Pure, White and Deadly book from Amazon.

Thanks and best wishes to you both.

Robin

Chrisspiller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I had a multiple bypass last October, I'm a T2 diabetic and take so many pills that I rattle! Prior to my CABG I was on the Dukan Diet for a while. I've lost a couple of stone and my blood sugars have been ok (6.2 last HbA1c) So now that I've had heart surgery should I continue with the Dukan, it seemed ideal when I was simply diabetic, low carbs really worked for me. Should I change now? And if so to what?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jdtaylor

Re: Low carb or Intermittent fasting?

I have just finished a 3 month experiment on myself and this has helped me bring my HbA1c level down to 42 IFCC std (5.9%).
I saw a program on BBC (Horizon) all about IF (intermittent fasting) and I thought I would give it a try.
I fasted for 2 days a week (I chose to not eat anything, some people have 600 calories), I don't really find this difficult myself but understand that this is not for everyone. The rest of the week I eat pretty much what I liked just to see if the fasting would have an effect on my blood sugars, I have lost a little weight but nothing major, in fact during this experiment I read some research on margarines and other trans-fatty rubbish and decided to change to using butter much more. I have also read a book called "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes which is very enlightening and worth a read. My goal is to be considered non diabetic again. My personal thoughts are that the modern lifestyle of microwave foods (processed foods), convenience foods and the use of certain fats that we are told are good for us, have lead to drastic increases in recorded numbers of type 2 diabetes. My journey continues but feel that no matter how hard it is, a diet lower in carbs is possibly the best way forward (I love bread, potatoes, chocolate, sweets and rice in particular :) All the best with your journey.
Gob Bless from a fellow struggler