Low Carb Mummy on a mission!

LowCarbMummy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sounds good. I look forward to it.

Do you follow any of the other LC food bloggers, like ditchthecarbs, ibreatheimhubgry or lowcarnmom to name a few?
Yes I do follow a few and a few of the sugar free ones too (especially the kids ones). I also follow 'normal' food blogs. I could/do waste a lot of time browsing recipes whether on a blog or in a book. They are all great sources of inspiration for new bakes and creations (and on regular food blogs there is so much you can pinch and convert to low carb with a bit of experimentation and research).

LowCarbMummy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, it was good :) The ethos of it was avoiding sugar - that is, sucrose - and using smaller amounts of fruit, etc, to give sweetness. I made a few recipes from it, and all were good. I felt they were more nutritious, as they had vitamins and minerals from the fruit, rather than the 'empty calories' of sugar.

Dried fruit is quite sweet, especially dates, but you only need a few to add sweetness. In another of my cookery books, there's a lovely rich recipe for a kind of chocolate dessert that's made with ground almonds and raw cacao, and that's sweetened with a few dates. The carbs in those dates spread across the whole dessert are minimal. I then top it with fresh raspberries or cherries and serve it with cream or Greek yoghurt. The whole thing is low carb, even for a good size portion :)

I don't use Stevia or any artificial sweeteners, so I hope the rice malt syrup features in plenty of recipes. I've only used it once, a number of years ago for a recipe that specified it, but I've never used it in general cooking so I'm not really familiar with its uses.

The Low Carb program here allows up to 130g carbs a day, so hopefully there'll be room for some cakes and desserts that use that syrup :) If you're taking requests, anything with chocolate is good in my book :D

Chocolate is very high up my priority list so it will most definitely feature on a regular basis! I have a chocolate bomb dessert to write up so look out for that. Your chocolate dessert sounds like a winner to me though!!

Reactions: azure

LowCarbMummy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi and welcome @LowCarbMummy

I am in total awe of you! A farm animal vet, a mum of 2 toddlers, husband working just about anywhere in the world, a charity worker, and a low carb baker and blogger and not even diabetic!!! Very inspiring, and my admiration goes out to you.

I don't bake, in fact I don't cook. My hubby is in charge of all that, but if someone could come up with a yummy pastry recipe suitable for replacing ordinary shortbread pasty that actually tastes the same, I would be delighted!

EDIT for shortbread please read shortcrust! Yet another ridiculous typo from me this evening! :banghead:

Thank you Bluetit1802. We do get a little bonkers here and there. I have played about with pastry for a while and I have a version that I am happy enough with to be using it in recipes. Watch out for my pumpkin pie and pecan pie recipes. It is only good for pressing into a pie dish so no good for tops. Im experimenting with it to get a rollable version without compromising the texture (it holds its form when cooled but is a teenie but crumbly like shortcrust). It definitely doesn't taste like for like but my (human) guinea pig testers have given me good feedback.

ps shortbread/shortcrust its all good!!

Reactions: Bluetit1802
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I am trying to raise my family on a low carb low sugar diet which in combo with being a keen baker is hopefully a recipe for lots of scrummy food ideas.

I am struggling to understand this mission. You have mentioned baking brownies with buttercream frosting, pastry pies and cakes, cooking with stevia, syrup and chocolate. Are you not concerned your babies might grow up with a sweet tooth and think food is better when covered in pastry?

I can see the merit in Ewelina's site, for example, as it helps people who already have a taste for sugar to adapt to low sugar and sugar free versions. But babies don't know any different so wont feel they are missing out.

Reactions: noblehead

LowCarbMummy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am struggling to understand this mission. You have mentioned baking brownies with buttercream frosting, pastry pies and cakes, cooking with stevia, syrup and chocolate. Are you not concerned your babies might grow up with a sweet tooth and think food is better when covered in pastry?

I can see the merit in Ewelina's site, for example, as it helps people who already have a taste for sugar to adapt to low sugar and sugar free versions. But babies don't know any different so wont feel they are missing out.

What isn't better covered in pastry!
Im joking. So the point of this blog is to provide recipes for people who want a low carb alternative to things they like plus some different ideas (very similar to Ewelina's site). It is also meant to have a family slant to inspire people to cook low carb low sugar for their kids.
Re my small ones. We have a very low amount of refined sugar in our diet and are always on the look out for inspired alternatives. For example my buttercream frosting is made from cashew nuts and some stevia. Last week we made some beetroot red velvet cupcakes (also only containing a little stevia). The plan is by eating a balanced diet low in carbs and sugar the smalls will learn to make good food choices as they grow up and not develop a sweet tooth at all. Time will tell!
Although cakes and pies are an important love of mine there are going to be lots of main meals and savoury snacks. Check out the recipes on the low carb programme to find the first three.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn
A

Avocado Sevenfold

What isn't better covered in pastry!
Im joking. So the point of this blog is to provide recipes for people who want a low carb alternative to things they like plus some different ideas (very similar to Ewelina's site). It is also meant to have a family slant to inspire people to cook low carb low sugar for their kids.
Re my small ones. We have a very low amount of refined sugar in our diet and are always on the look out for inspired alternatives. For example my buttercream frosting is made from cashew nuts and some stevia. Last week we made some beetroot red velvet cupcakes (also only containing a little stevia). The plan is by eating a balanced diet low in carbs and sugar the smalls will learn to make good food choices as they grow up and not develop a sweet tooth at all. Time will tell!
Although cakes and pies are an important love of mine there are going to be lots of main meals and savoury snacks. Check out the recipes on the low carb programme to find the first three.

I think it is interesting about kids and sugar. I had a friend at secondary school who had been raised in Gothenburg. She had only ever been allowed a small sweet on a Saturday. She said this was normal in Sweden. As a result, she never developed a sweet tooth nor craved sugar and had perfect teeth.

I will have to take your word about the low carb programme as I am not a member.

Reactions: noblehead
M

mist

Hi everyone!

My name is Lissie and I love baking. It is my go to whatever my mood, whatever the weather or occasion (often no occasion needed) and wherever I happen to be. It’s not just baking though, I enjoy cooking in general especially when I’m cooking for other people.

I’m a Mum of two small girls (2 ½years and 9 months). I want to give our kids the chance to grow up understanding (and loving) food and knowing how to eat properly. So I have embarked on a culinary journey to cut our sugar intake down and have been busily recreating all the things I love to bake and eat.

I am going to be using the Forum Blogs and the Low Carb Program to keep a note of my low-carb, sugar free creations which I hope will encourage you to get in the kitchen (especially with your kids those of you that are mums and dads).

I would love to hear if there are any recipes or family staples that you would like me to try, I am just in the process of perfecting a low-carb brownie and sugar-free buttercream frosting (because no low-carb cupcake is complete without frosting!).

Lissie x

Muffins! :joyful:

LowCarbMummy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think it is interesting about kids and sugar. I had a friend at secondary school who had been raised in Gothenburg. She had only ever been allowed a small sweet on a Saturday. She said this was normal in Sweden. As a result, she never developed a sweet tooth nor craved sugar and had perfect teeth.

I will have to take your word about the low carb programme as I am not a member.

Thanks for your comments avocado sevenfold. That story has encouraged me. I will also be posting plenty of recipes on here to.

M

mist

Muffin-cat.jpg

LowCarbMummy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi LCM,
Welcome.
You seem like a busy person judging by your blog.

Do your D friends/family LC?

I see you already met Azure.
I'll tag in some other LCers to greet you.. @AndBreathe @Brunneria @Bluetit1802

That'd be great, thank you!

My friends generally aren't low carb and my immediate family get dragged into whatever I do as the kitchen is my zone ;) They are generally happy to be fed though and as long as it is tasty there are no complaints.

Reactions: mist

LowCarbMummy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sounds like you have developed some great ideas.

In our house we make a mean custard (from scratch, no birds eye here!) with just a little stevia or rice malt syrup. It is super simple and super quick. I have found by embracing full fat milk to make custard you can get away with just a little sweetness in the dessert itself. Its yum with cooking apples just stewed with cinnamon and a little slice of butter. I tend to require a depth of filling to my pie/tart that would make filo go a little weak at the knees so we have a couple of more heavy duty pastry recipes on the go for different flavour crusts.

Also bacon makes a super crust for a mini quiche (non veggie of course!)

:)