Low Carb "Pasta"

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spotted these new products in Sainsbury's. The Penne is 26.9% carb the Fusilli is 20.4% carb. I have only tried the Fusilli so far and 50g uncooked weight was ok for my blood sugar and ideal for those meals that really need pasta.

Penne1.jpg

D

Deleted member 308541

They look alright @Mr_Pot I cannot quite read the nutrition info though.

Will have to look for similar products here in Australia as I miss not eating pasta

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D

Deleted member 308541

I found the info for the "Penne" it is still pretty high in carbs.

Nutrition

Table of Nutritional Information

100g uncooked 75g uncooked
Energy 727kJ/
172kcal 543kJ/
128kcal
Fat <0.1g <0.1g
-of which saturates <0.1g <0.1g
Carbohydrate 26.9g 20.1g
-of which sugars <0.1g <0.1g
Fibre 5.2g 3.9g
Protein 13.4g 10.0g
Salt 0.16g 0.12g

This pack contains approximately three 75g portions

Edit: I see you posted the info while I was writing mine, thank you.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
13.5g for a 50g portion. I am ok with actual lentils so I am optimistic about the Penne. I will try it soon, probably in Jamie Oliver's Jools Pregnant Pasta which is a favourite of mine I haven't been able to have for 2 years since diagnosis.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Sainsbury's also stock noodles made from edamame beans. They can be used instead of tagliatelle in pasta dishes and are ok in Asian recipes. Not cheap at £3 a packet though!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sainsbury's also stock noodles made from edamame beans. They can be used instead of tagliatelle in pasta dishes and are ok in Asian recipes. Not cheap at £3 a packet though!
I have had those and they are ok as a carrier for sauces etc but a bit like cardboard in taste and texture. My first impression of the Penne is that they are much better, the texture in particular is spot on.

Reactions: Freema

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Agree completely with the comments about taste and texture of noodles although I did make a really good laksa with them. Looking forward to trying lentil penne as I have missed pasta in the last 3 years since diagnosis as Type 2. Mind you, I have maintained an HbA1c of 36-37 for almost 3 years by cutting the carbs!

Reactions: TooManyCrisps

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have now discovered that Waitrose make versions of the lentil and pea pastas in their Lovlife range and in my opinion they are much better than the Napolina ones in my original post. We used them in a family meal and my daughter didn't notice they weren't normal pasta. They both say 24% carbs but that is for the cooked weight which is not very helpful. I seem to be ok with a 50g dry weight portion. As pulses seem to be one of the foods that varies a lot as to its effect on BG between individuals, testing yourself would be necessary of course.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have been experimenting with reheated cooked pasta that has been in the fridge over night, as I have not been able to source those type of low carb pasta here.

I see this on Micheal Mosley's Trust Me I A Doctor show, I have got the portion size for the pasta right. Now I have to cut back on the tomato paste in the sauce to keep the bgl down.

We have about ten packets of cooked pasta in the freezer bagged up in medium sandwich bags.