LOw carb question

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
:? I am trying to follow a low carb diet, I'm not sure really HOW low I'm supposed to go, but I had a cheese omlette for tea and some sf jelly and plain greek yogurt for dessert, How much insulin would you give? I am usually 1:10 ratio. I gave myself 6u as I was a little high from lunch time and my aviva expert suggested 2u extra than the norm, I tested before bed 11.0 !!!!!!!!!!!!! what ? How many carbs ARE there in a cheese omlette?

I am so confused about the whole carb thing. what's considered low?

One thing I did notice, after my cholesterol check my triglycerides were down to 0.5 !

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Discussing the effect of protein on bg in this recent thread:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30688

I would say your previous carb ratio's will be out the window now your on a low-carb diet, you'll just have to test more regular and record everything you eat, inject and of course bg results, it's not impossible to get the ratio right as we do have low-carb type 1's on the forum who are on less than 50g of carb a day....... so persevere.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi susieg!

I have LADA and I follow a low-carb diet (less than 50g carb per day).

Your omellette meal would have been something like:

2 x eggs - 1g carb
Splash of milk? 1g carb
Sf jelly - 1.75g carb
Plain Greek yoghurt - 4 -6g carb per 100g (depending on brand). So maybe 5g carb?

So, you probably had 8 to 10g carb overall. I would have jabbed 1.5 units Apidra for that lot rather than your normal 1 unit. However, if I hadn't had the yogurt and jelly, I would still have jabbed 1.5 units for the omellette - in the complete absence of carb, the protein seems to affect me more - and eggs are the worst protein for spiking me! It is a bit trial and error I'm afraid. As a matter of interest, how high was your BG before you ate? I find if I'm high, my ratio is lower anyway, so a 1:10 might become 1:6 or 7.

Smidge

jopar

Another thing you've got to watch out when injecting is your timing of injection as the profiles of a high fat/high protein meal can have a lot slower adsorption rate than a carb meal, so what happens is the insulin kicks in a lot quicker than the protein dose..

So you might find that you need to inject after you've eaten..

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
smidge said:
Hi susieg!

I have LADA and I follow a low-carb diet (less than 50g carb per day).

Your omellette meal would have been something like:

2 x eggs - 1g carb
Splash of milk? 1g carb
Sf jelly - 1.75g carb
Plain Greek yoghurt - 4 -6g carb per 100g (depending on brand). So maybe 5g carb?

So, you probably had 8 to 10g carb overall. I would have jabbed 1.5 units Apidra for that lot rather than your normal 1 unit. However, if I hadn't had the yogurt and jelly, I would still have jabbed 1.5 units for the omellette - in the complete absence of carb, the protein seems to affect me more - and eggs are the worst protein for spiking me! It is a bit trial and error I'm afraid. As a matter of interest, how high was your BG before you ate? I find if I'm high, my ratio is lower anyway, so a 1:10 might become 1:6 or 7.

Smidge
Hi Smidge,
my BG was about 8-ish before I ate, and so my meter said have 2u extra, so according to your estimations I should have only injected about 3 or 4u. If i'd done that I would be high as a kite.. I just don't understand it. Yesterday I upped my ratio to 1:7 and that seemed to work in the evening when I haven't been out and about so much. I suppose I'll just have to persevere and if It doesn't calm down, speak to the DSN who's taking the DAFNE course I'm going on in august. I have so many questions to ask her!