Low Carb Snacks

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,

I recently had to change my lunch time food to be lower carb due to my blood sugar just not liking a high carb lunch at work (we are talking going from 90g to 34g currently). I’m slightly lactose intolerant (I avoid cheese and high milk foods) but I want a different snack with my lunch that isn’t too high carb, I don’t want to go too much over 40g if I can help it. I currently have sugar free jelly but it’s getting to the point where it’s honestly a chore to eat it. I think I’m just craving for something with a bit more taste/sweetness

Thanks,

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're looking for sweet, then Lidl and some of the other supermarkets are doing protein puddings. Lidl have one with a bit of whipped chocolate crea/mouse on top too which is quite pleasant.

I don't have a sweet tooth, or feel particularly drawn to chocolate, but I enjoyed that.

If you're looking at savoury, microwaved very thin chorizo or salami slices make for a decent crisp substitute. Just in the microwave, sitting on kitchen paper and microwaved in 30 second bursts until crisp. (In our micro here, that's under 2 minutes.)

Reactions: Nicola M

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Break fast - 80 grams peanuts, cashews, almonds. 3 cups almond milk coffee.
Snack - 2 cups almond milk coffee
Dinner - Tofu fry, egg white omelet with mushrooms, cauliflower fry, raw cabbage salad, 30g salted peanuts&almonds
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-08 at 6.44.07 PM.jpeg

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you saying 40g for all of lunch (which is fine, and roughly what I would tend to eat - sandwich or soup + apple) or 40g for the pudding?

Re carb free things, to add to the list others have given: olives, edamame beans (these do have some carbs but not many).

Perhaps bulk out lunch with non/low-carb-containing things (salad with dressing, etc.) then you can have a conventional pudding without going over 40g total?

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Break fast - 2egg white omelet with mushrooms, tofu fry, coconut chutney, cauliflwoer fry. Almond milk coffee.
Snack - Almond milk coffee
View attachment 64827

Hi Saky, thanks for posting your meals, but I wonder if it might be helpful to post them in the thread shown below instead, as this particular thread was started by a member asking specifically about snacks.

Reactions: MissMuffett

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Saky, thanks for posting your meals, but I wonder if it might be helpful to post them in the thread shown below instead, as this particular thread was started by a member asking specifically about snacks.

Ohhh Sorry...:banghead:

• Hug
Reactions: aylalake

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're budgeting for 40g carb you've got a bit of leeway. For me I normally go to ham, salamis, etc / Olives / almonds, hazelnuts, brazils / cheeses / pork scratchings etc

95% of my "small meals/snacks" is some combination of cheese and meat though.

Reactions: aylalake

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Nobody seems to have mentioned hard boiled eggs.

• Love
Reactions: Michellenz and saky

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Berries, very dark chocolate, baked keto goods and fat bombs (recipes all over the internet)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My lovely son have me several packets of Cheesies (dried popped cheese) and Chicken Skin Crackling for Christmas. They are handy to travel with. I'm looking forward to trying the Skins that come in different flavours