Low Carb Success.

TheFloppyOne

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Decided to share my past few months of low carb diet.

Been on low carb program and have followed Dr Berg on youtube since July during my Pre-Diabetes diagnostic. As of Monday 22nd October my DR said my HbA1c is back to normal blood sugar levels.

Since then I have lost 35lbs in weight, my Edema on my feet and legs has disappeared and some of my energy has been restored.

I have a lot of anxiety still, measure my BG with any new food I try and haven't touched grain & starch based food since July with the exception of oatmeal when a constipation intervention is needed.

The main side effects I have had are Gastrointestinal Reflux Disease which has been spewing stomach acid into my mouth and it taste extremely sour. This has gave me really bad heartburn, chest pain and makes me very anxious. Got to the point where I tailor meals and make sure I eat the right kinds of fat in order not to upset my stomach.

Take Omeprozole for this which has a little glucose but hasn't been triggering my sugars that much.

I also made good use of the Insulin Index and Glycaemic Index.

Trying to lose weight past the 315 lb margin now. Just need to find some low carb foods which can help digestion/constapation because really want to ditch oatmeal since its to high in carbs.

Anyway decided to share this to let people see it does work and those people on low carb program are for real.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Just need to find some low carb foods which can help digestion/constapation because really want to ditch oatmeal since its to high in carbs.

Two things that has helped me a lot, especially when it comes to constipation (sometimes I take Codeine 30mg/paracetamol 500mg) are GiSol (supports healthy gut bacteria) and Berocca (a formulation of B vitamins, vitamin C plus added magnesium, calcium and zinc). The Berocca recommended dose is 1 per day but I find 2 - 4 has the desired affect, just be careful, the Berocca can be replaced with Vitamin C powder.

Gastrointestinal Reflux Disease isn't something I have to contend with, but from what I have read the following are recommended foods.
  • Bananas. This low-acid fruit can help those with acid reflux by coating an irritated esophageal lining and thereby helping to combat discomfort. ...
  • Melons. Like bananas, melons also are a highly alkaline fruit. ...
  • Oatmeal. ...
  • Yogurt. ...
  • Green Vegetables.
Bananas and Oatmeal are probably worth avoiding, depends on how tolerant your body is of carbs. I certainly consume large amounts of green vegetables.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Congrats on your hard earned success @TheFloppyOne!! You are well headed towards even more success. As you have likely read here on the Forum, you are in a marathon, not a sprint.....so stay focused and know that we are cheering you on:) I would suggest that a meal or two containing beets might help the plumbing....1/2 cup cooked, sliced has 8gm of carb, according to my carb book....But if you plan for it in your carbs for the day, it may be beneficial to try them....better than the oatmeal!! The beet greens are lovely sauted in butter like spinach:) Cheers/L