Low Carb

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
So I am just wondering, on the lchf diet which I do follow, but could someone clarify for me how many carbs etc I should be aiming for on an average day? I Know I need to up my protein when I exercise but for the first time I have been counting my carbs and it looks like I should be aiming for 20 -50 grms? Also do I count the carbs and the sugars together or just the carbs. You would think I would know this by now but guess I am still learning :banghead:

Reactions: saky

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some aim for less than 20 grams of carbs a day, some for over 100.
The only way to find out what works for you is to test before and after meals to see how many you can handle.

Also do I count the carbs and the sugars together or just the carbs.
You only count the carbs. The label says 'of which sugars', so they're already in the carb count.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Some aim for less than 20 grams of carbs a day, some for over 100.
The only way to find out what works for you is to test before and after meals to see how many you can handle.

You only count the carbs. The label says 'of which sugars', so they're already in the carb count.
Thanks so much for that, looks like I have been going at about 30 odd carbs a day so I will see how it goes x x

Reactions: Antje77

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also do I count the carbs and the sugars together or just the carbs.
Sugar is part of the carb count. You can consider it a subset of carbs so - No, don’t count it twice.

on a uk label/recipe just look at the carbs number. Ignore the rest.

on a USA label/recipe look for net carbs (same as uk carbs) or if there is just total carbs then deduct the fiber amount from that to get net carbs. They list fiber the same way we do “of which sugars”.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sugar is part of the carb count. You can consider it a subset of carbs so - No, don’t count it twice.

on a uk label/recipe just look at the carbs number. Ignore the rest.

on a USA label/recipe look for net carbs (same as uk carbs) or if there is just total carbs then deduct the fiber amount from that to get net carbs. They list fiber the same way we do “of which sugars”.
Thank you xxx

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I am just wondering, on the lchf diet which I do follow, but could someone clarify for me how many carbs etc I should be aiming for on an average day? I Know I need to up my protein when I exercise but for the first time I have been counting my carbs and it looks like I should be aiming for 20 -50 grms? Also do I count the carbs and the sugars together or just the carbs. You would think I would know this by now but guess I am still learning :banghead:
We all have different levels of insulin resistance, so for T2 diabetics your "ideal" carb intake range depends on what your insulin resistance level is for the most part.

For me personally, I can keep my fingerprick BG readings in acceptable ranges with up to 30-40g of carbs per day (if split over meals, not OMAD). I stick to 20-30g for safety, but I'm generally nearer the 20g level just by how I seem to naturally eat now. As others have said, testing your BG will allow you to find your safe levels of intake.

• Winner
Reactions: Lainie71