Low Carb

Shortbread

Dislikes
Assumptions, arrogance, bad service
Hello again everyone!!! :D

Ive been trying my best to low carb for the last 2 weeks and I'm doing okay, but I wondered if anyone could give some advice on two things??

1 Can you lose weight if your eating around 60-70 G of carb a day? Or do I need to shift it down a notch or two to actually see some weight loss?

2 I'm still figuring out what foods are good and whats bad for me, and over the last 3 days Ive had episodes were I feel awful.........like I'm drunk, my head is swimming, and I'm very tired and can barely keep my head upright! Anyone have any idea what this is about???

Any information would be greatly received!!!

Take care all xxx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Some people will lose weigth on the 70carbs a day, but you may need to drop down below that to get the process started. I need to go much lower to lose weight, almost to Zero.

If you are feeling ligfht headed
you could be a bit hypo. what medication are you using, if any.
If its insulin or a sulphonylurea, yyou need to reduce the dose.
If not on medication, you may be adjusting.

Shortbread

Dislikes
Hiya, Thanks for the reply!

Ive been taking Metformin for 2 weeks now, just about to up it to 3 x daily. These episodes just don't feel good at all..... I do know that I ate 3 mini bread sticks yesterday, I'm wondering if that was the reason as well as why I was going to the toilet (urine) almost every 30 mins last night!

Dont like these feelings, and I need to try figure out how not to feel like it again!

I think I may drop my Carb level.........also are certain foods better to eat on a low carb diet........or is it ok to just keep within your target amount of grammes? ( I'm not eating bread, pasta rice or potatoes)

Thanks for all the input!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Do you know what your blood sugar levels are? It's possible that the feelings are because you're levels are coming down,with the low carbing,and you are experiencing pseudo -hypos.These are feelings of being hypo but not real hypos because your body has been used to running on high blood sugar levels for a while.Once you get the levels down then these feelings should settle.Please discuss them with your doctor as well.

Shortbread

Dislikes
Hi Sue.........my BS levels are around about 5.6- 6.8 and on occasion it was at 8.3

I really dont like feeling like this, but yeah maybe thats what it is, as I'm on the pills and not eating bread etc, so my carb levels have been greatly reduced over the last couple of weeks!

So eating something like white bread sticks wouldn't make me feel like this??? I'm just confused as to how I would feel if I'm eating the bad food!!!

Thanks,

xx

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Not sure what the carb value is of mini bread sticks,does it say on the packaging?

Shortbread

Dislikes
It was about 8.5 or something for the 3 I had!!! I needed a nibble and they were all I could find in Marks and Spencers lol

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
That would not affect you like that.I wonder if you maybe have an infection brewing? Especially trotting to the toilet all the time.I would check with your doctor,take a specimen down and get it checked out.

Shortbread

Dislikes
Hiya again,

No idea, I just notice that sometimes I go to the toilet a lot more than others! One day i will be fine, the next I can go every 30-40 mins and maybe up 3 times through the night, other times I don't go often and not up through the night!

Its weird cause its so inconsistent!!! Thats why i wondered if it was to do with certain foods....Iast Sunday I had done lots of stuff for work and wanted a treat so had a grab pack of walkers crisps(shouldn't have really) but about 20 minutes later I was up to the loo, and started feeling sickly, head swimming, like I was drunk!!! Got up to the toilet 3 times through the nite.............driving me mad this lol :|

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Sounds like you are very carb sensitive ,I'm a bit like that myself.Did you happen to test after the crisps by nay chance.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I'm hoping that one of the more experienced low carbers will come along with some better input for you during the day.

markd

Shortbread said:
Hiya again,

No idea, I just notice that sometimes I go to the toilet a lot more than others! One day i will be fine, the next I can go every 30-40 mins and maybe up 3 times through the night, other times I don't go often and not up through the night!

Its weird cause its so inconsistent!!! Thats why i wondered if it was to do with certain foods....Iast Sunday I had done lots of stuff for work and wanted a treat so had a grab pack of walkers crisps(shouldn't have really) but about 20 minutes later I was up to the loo, and started feeling sickly, head swimming, like I was drunk!!! Got up to the toilet 3 times through the nite.............driving me mad this lol :|

What do you normally drink throughout the day? Early on, I had days like that (perhaps once every week or two); needing to take a leak seemingly all the time, maybe for several days running.

Finally, when I had another day like that, I started to measure my BG at 30 or 60 minute intervals throughout much of the day. It was always well in the range of 4.5 to 5.5 - nowhere near what might have caused spill into urine. No discomfort or other symptoms that might have indicated inflamation or infection.

I did a little searching on the net, and other places, and came to the conclusion that it might be all of the diet coke (and other sodas) I was drinking.

I found that more than a few people either have, or develop some form of intolerance to, a number of artifical sweeteners like Aspartame/Nutrasweet. Also that Aspartame can increase the craving for carbs - not a good thing for anyone trying to control their blood sugars!

So, I cut out diet soda, changing to flavoured fizzy water instead. After 2 or 3 weeks, those days stopped completely and I have remained in that happy state for many months since. I now almost always get at least 8 hours uninterrupted sleep before I need to take a leak in the morning.

If you google aspartame or nutrasweet and keywords like urination or diabetes, you will find a lot of hits.

Problem is, you need to exercise a *lot* of critical thinking here; much of what I found looks a lot like the product of conspiracy-theory nitwits, but there was enough that looked at least plausible, that I gave it a try.

Of course, caffeine may also be a more directly responsible culprit for poor glucose control (try googling caffeine and diabetes):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7209385.stm

The double-whammy of caffeine/aspartame seemed worth avoiding for a trial period and, for me at any rate, proved worthwhile.

Many sources state that it takes some weeks before both compounds decay to low levels in the body, so don't expect a change overnight!

best of luck

MarkD

(of course,if you drink neither caffeine or artificial sweetener, then all of this post is a bit pointless...).

Shortbread

Dislikes
I do drink diet pepsi etc, but usually the same amount every day.........so not sure why some days are okay and some not!

I hate flavoured water.............lol

Trinkwasser

What I used to do was "reactive hypoglycemia" where I'd eat carbs and spike high, then my pancreas would wake up late and dump too much insulin and knock me rapidly down. The rapid rate of change of BG can produce some of these symptoms.

The other thing that would happen is, I'd drop low to the extent my liver would wake up and dump far too much glucose, and again the rapid rise in BG can produce pretty unpleasant symptoms.

Sometimes depending when you test you can miss the actual high or low because your BG is changing rapidly and you caught it in mid-swing.

Over the long term, getting my insulin resistance down has improved the system's overreactions.

On the other hand there may be other reasons not related to BG for your symptoms.