Low carbing starts on Monday!

purplestar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I am relatively recently diagnosed type 1, age 34 and have a terribly high bmi of over 50. I've sat and let my diabetes get out of control and my weight take over. Ive just been through the diabetes.co.uk 30 day meal plan and decided on 7 days of low carb veggie meals. Put in my food shopping order online and ready to start with an eggy breakfast on Monday. Has anyone else followed this plan successfully?

I'm hoping this could be the start of something for me. I need to make a change but it's going to be hard as I eat so much and so many carbs. Don't know anyone else who is diabetic so pretty much on my own with this. Fingers crossed....

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it really isn't a 7 day thing, the first 2-3 days suck bad.. the first week to settle and then it's good, I would do it for a couple of months at least
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

it’s a long page and a video
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

Basal testing
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120

when low carb you may need to bolus for around 50% of protein [ TAG total available glucose]

Last edited by a moderator:

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi - I am relatively recently diagnosed type 1, age 34 and have a terribly high bmi of over 50. I've sat and let my diabetes get out of control and my weight take over. Ive just been through the diabetes.co.uk 30 day meal plan and decided on 7 days of low carb veggie meals. Put in my food shopping order online and ready to start with an eggy breakfast on Monday. Has anyone else followed this plan successfully?

I'm hoping this could be the start of something for me. I need to make a change but it's going to be hard as I eat so much and so many carbs. Don't know anyone else who is diabetic so pretty much on my own with this. Fingers crossed....
Good luck.... Someone said to me when I started out to remember to increase my salt in take when starting out as it helps with any carb cravings... And it works :)

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome You have made the first important step in getting under control. Well done you :) it's often the hardest thing to have to face, many of us have eaten the wrong food for many reasons, and facing it head up is one of the best things that can change your life for the better.

We all know we "Have to change" and I'm sure you know in your heart that it's a change of lifestyle in terms of eating and excercise that will kick off these changes. Many of us have seen huge reduction in BMI by low carbing, but please make sure you read all the videos and links that have been posted.

7 days probably will not be long enough to see real benefit, but if you stick to it, and eat to your meter.

I started LCHF diet on the 1st of November, having been diagnosed in June, since then I have lost 20lbs. My BG is under control and after a shaky start I kicked the metformin to the roadside and now I'm generally feeling loads better and energised.

It is the ONLY thing that works for me.

Fingers crossed it will work for you :) Good luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck Purplestar and hope you manage to lose some weight, just remember to adjust your insulin doses accordingly.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!

The best tips I can suggest is
- no matter how much you want to lose weight, don't skimp on the fat for the first few days. You need to use richer foods to get through the first few days transition. It really helps.
- and try to focus on all the foods you CAN eat. The flavours, the textures...

I had a read of those 30 days of recipes, and some of them are delicious! I have tried several. But to be honest, some of the portions are a bit small. ;)

Don't deprive yourself with tiddly portions, because if you are anything like me, hunger makes me fall off the wagon.