kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Hi everyone

Has anyone tried the low carb way of life? I have been doing a far less extreme version of atkins for the last 5 days and my levels have been the best since diagnosis 8 years ago. I am so happy about this but feel false as I'm not sure how long I can go without eating the stuff I love :(

Karen

Reactions: 2 people

Kimbers.21

hey - i wouldnt say im on low carbs but i know im not alowed many - like 40grams a meal - dunno if thats high or low lol. i think u shud treat urself still like a couple of times a week - dont be so strict on urself.

Aidy xxx

...you dont even know how very special you are...

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Try eating your "treats" as part of your meal,Kareeta, see if that affects your BS at all.If I want anything sweet or cheese etc I always have it like a pudding,straight after my main course.

Knowledge is the key to control

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Karen,

In theory your craving for what you describe as "the stuff I love" should get less the longer you deprive yourself of them. Remember that carbohydrate and sugar are both addictive. They raise the seratonin levels in the brain and it is seratonin that gives your body a feeling of satisfaction. When the seratonin wears off then your body craves for more of the things that will top it up again - carbs and sugar. The longer you can stick to a low carb diet then the less craving you should have for all the things that are bad for you.

I guess its no different to going cold turkey on anything that we are addicted to. Its just that packets of cakes, biscuits, chocolates and ice cream don't come with a government warning that the contents can seriously damage your health.

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi again

It had been hard , but the impact on my levels has been unbelievable. Luckily I don't crave typical sweet things, more bread, chinese food, etc..the stuff makes me go so high I end up taking 2 extra injections to compensate which is clearly the wrong this to do.

So this week I have been quite hard on myself, and I do feel much better for it and I'm going to maintain it while adding a very small amount of complex carbs. My question is ..is there a better time to eat carbs? I was thinking breakfast, porridge oats or wholemeal toast. Then I plan on having very little other carbs for the rest of the day.

Until the inevitable happens of course and a hypo comes along...then all good will goes out of the window. Has anyone found lucozade stops working for them - or rather not quickly enough? :|

Karen

Reactions: 2 people

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Karen,

What you are proposing there sounds a bit drastic. A bowl of porridge made with milk would give you typically about 25g of carb (only 14 with water instead of milk) and a large slice of wholemeal toast about 15g. That's very low for a whole day, especially if its a radical drop from what you are currently having.

Why not give yourself a target of carbs per day to start off with, then gradually drop this to what you suggest. It would make the transition down to low carb a lot more managable.

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Dennis

It is a huge amount less than I have been used to. My method of thinking was 'get used to not having any - then slowly reintroduce only good carbs'

I was relying heavily on carbs before and my levels were quite shocking because of this. I am trying to get used to not eating them with every meal so that my levels are in range for at least part of the day. Its a shame I can only achieve that by low carbing as I'm quite active and that makes me high...so this is a last resort really :(

Karen

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
When are you active? Try tayoring the amount of carbs to when you will burn them off.If you are active during the day,have your carbs at breakfast and lunch-time but restrict them in the evening if you are not so active.If you are more active in the evening have more(but not excessive )carbs with your evening meal.

Knowledge is the key to control