Low hba1c high fasting

Atwill61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone I was diagnosed as prediabetic. I know hba1c is considered the average but mine was in the normal range at 32. My fasting blood sugar was 5.6 and after GTT it was 8.7. Is this still considered prediabetese with a normal hba1c?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone I was diagnosed as prediabetic. I know hba1c is considered the average but mine was in the normal range at 32. My fasting blood sugar was 5.6 and after GTT it was 8.7. Is this still considered prediabetese with a normal hba1c?

Hello there. Hopefully a read of this page might help your understanding a bit: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/oral-glucose-tolerance-test.html

Bearing in mind your HbA1c is excellent and your fasting blood glucose is not of any concern, could you share why you had the GTT done?

Atwill61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think they were concerned with the 5.6. I believe the recommended limit is 5.5. At least I thought it was

Thanks for that. GTTs aren't done too often these days, although they are used sometimes.

A prediabetic HbA1c is 6% or 42, but you seem to have a bit of impaired glucose tolerance going on there. Do you have arrangements to discuss your results with your health team?

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Atwill61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. GTTs aren't done too often these days, although they are used sometimes.

A prediabetic HbA1c is 6% or 42, but you seem to have a bit of impaired glucose tolerance going on there. Do you have arrangements to discuss your results with your health team?

I have already spoke to them as this was a little while ago. Should I diet now or is it not really needed?