Low HBA1C with high glucometer results?

ropelock

I have been in a running battle with my GP since I came to the UK 2 years ago. I was diagnosed Type 2 in Zimbabwe in 1995 and have been on Metformin for 10 years. My home glucometer test results in Zimbabwe were 5 fasting to 10 after meals, average 7-8, on a fairly strict diet (due to food shortages more than personal willpower!). I passed my medical records to my new UK GP and stayed on 1000mg metformin for 6 months. At my first review I was informed that I wasn't diabetic at all as my HBA1C was 5.0. After some discussion the Dr agreed to keep me on metformin and I went out and bought a new glucometer. To cut a long story short, my fasting blood sugar on the new glucometer averages 12, up to 14-15 after meals, and rarely below 10, but my HBA1C after 5 tests is still below 5.5. I am not happy with my blood sugar levels as I KNOW they are too high, but the Dr won't adjust my medication because of the "perfect" HBA1C. Can anyone explain the anomaly between glucometer and HBA1C results? I have calibrated the meter with test solutions from Abbott and it is spot on.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Your HbA1c is only an average so will not show any high or low readings during the 90 day period. That is why we advocate frequent BG testing so you can better see just what your control is really like. Your HbA1c is very good but you know it doesn't appear to have taken account of the actual raedings. This will all depend as well on how frequently you test. It might be an idea to test more frequntly each day for a little while....fasting, 1 and 2 hrs after meals, bedtime etc so that you will get a more accurate picture of what is going on.

I had anti-Cancer treatment recently and my Bg levels were all over the place.....2+ to 24+ mmol/l, yet a subsequent HbA1c test actually showed a drop ?? I knew that despite that Hba1c my control was abysmal......thankfully not now the case.

As for your GP telling you that you are not a Diabetic.........not so ! You are just a Diabetic with a good HbA1c. It should not be the only thing used to see what your control is like but unfortunately many see it as the best indicator. What it actually indicates is a trend........higher or lower.......nothing more.

Ken