Low in Iron

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Just been told I am low in iron but not been told what treatment i may get ....what do you all do when your iron level have dropped

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been on iron tablets for mine and that was one tablet a day the only problem with it you can taste the metal in it and after a few days you get used to it and then when you go to the toilet your stools are dark in colour but other than that you are fine and you will be told how long you will need to take them and afterwards an appointment for a blood test and that is it you don't feel different and you are the same as before just got more energy and you won't fall asleep as much unless your sugars are high but it doesn't affect your diabetes at all it's like being without water in the morning and the first thing you do is have a drink and that is what the extra iron means when you take it

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tablets seem to be very slow for me having minimal effect and also causing constipation. Eating liver however has finally been the thing that made a difference. I choose chicken liver as it’s mild and has vitamins that help absorption that other liners don’t. If you don’t like eating it on its own or with bacon and onions as is traditional chop it up and add it to other chicken (or relevant meat) dishes.

Whatever you do vitamin c and a help absorption. Tea and coffee hinder it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It can also be blood loss (childbirth, heavy menstruation, bowel issues etc) and malabsorption too. Always worthwhile understanding why it’s happened so as to deal with the route cause not just the symptoms.