Low iron & hypos

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure if there is anyone on this forum who deals with low iron or anaemia?.... but if anyone does.... do you sometimes think you may be having a hypo, when it is just your low iron giving you dizzy spells?

I had an incident today when I was driving. I had made a detour to do some business, then managed to get myself lost in a suburb trying to follow my nose to a road I knew. Well in the process I was driving through this big estate where all the houses were mostly grey in colour. I wound up feeling extremely dizzy after driving around thinking they all look the same. I should've stopped and checked for directions.... but nope I figured I'd just follow my nose and won't be too far from what I wanted. But anyhow I was in a panic mode when I felt dizzy thinking I was starting to hypo... maybe I was hyperventilating without realising as well for being lost. I thought well I'm not far... got to my destination and tested at 6.8. So it wasn't a hypo at all... just my low iron level making me dizzy I think, and possibly the sudden panic. I'm due to get an iron infusion and waiting for an appointment for that. The ferritin range on the lab test is 30-300 and I'm sitting on 17 as of 19th October. They will top me up as close to 300 and then I just continue to drop again until the next infusion is needed. So I'm currently too low and really feeling even worse than my usual.. I was at 297 and now at 17 in just over 2 years... not bad really. It's just harder because I'm trying to manage my conditions that cause fatigue also.

But yes, it gave me a fright today and seriously talk about panic and the first thing that comes to mind is HYPO. I'll be sure not to get lost in an estate with the same colour houses again. lol.

What's your experience?

lisa mcaneny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Don't like meat .
I'm not sure if there is anyone on this forum who deals with low iron or anaemia?.... but if anyone does.... do you sometimes think you may be having a hypo, when it is just your low iron giving you dizzy spells?

I had an incident today when I was driving. I had made a detour to do some business, then managed to get myself lost in a suburb trying to follow my nose to a road I knew. Well in the process I was driving through this big estate where all the houses were mostly grey in colour. I wound up feeling extremely dizzy after driving around thinking they all look the same. I should've stopped and checked for directions.... but nope I figured I'd just follow my nose and won't be too far from what I wanted. But anyhow I was in a panic mode when I felt dizzy thinking I was starting to hypo... maybe I was hyperventilating without realising as well for being lost. I thought well I'm not far... got to my destination and tested at 6.8. So it wasn't a hypo at all... just my low iron level making me dizzy I think, and possibly the sudden panic. I'm due to get an iron infusion and waiting for an appointment for that. The ferritin range on the lab test is 30-300 and I'm sitting on 17 as of 19th October. They will top me up as close to 300 and then I just continue to drop again until the next infusion is needed. So I'm currently too low and really feeling even worse than my usual.. I was at 297 and now at 17 in just over 2 years... not bad really. It's just harder because I'm trying to manage my conditions that cause fatigue also.

But yes, it gave me a fright today and seriously talk about panic and the first thing that comes to mind is HYPO. I'll be sure not to get lost in an estate with the same colour houses again. lol.

What's your experience?[/QUOT

lisa mcaneny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Don't like meat .
Hi,I have been falling all over the it was like I was very drunk

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My sugar level was 28.2 so I thought it was a hypo just can't tell, I even fell out of bed I remember him picking me up but nothing else
sorry to hear that :( do you get iron infusions as well? It sounds like you were having a hyper here as well...that can make you feel awful too.

I just found out they have an appointment for my iron infusion this Monday... so relieved. The last time they didn't have any appointments for me for well over 4 weeks.

alisonbigbird

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am borderline aneamic and pre-diabetic on metformin already though. I get similar sounding episodes, but my bro-in-law suggested dehydration and i think he has a point. Make sure you keep hydrated!!

Reactions: 2 people

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do

What's your experience?
Hi I too get iron infusions,being investigated by immunologist at present. Like you when due a next dose I too get "hypo" feelings but can test and be at 5's so it's the lack of iron causing it. I have iron infusions every 12-16 weeks. Does make my B.G. rise immediately afterwards,but gradually settles. The feelings as you state so mimic hypo that it's scary......
Wishing you well.....

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am borderline aneamic and pre-diabetic on metformin already though. I get similar sounding episodes, but my bro-in-law suggested dehydration and i think he has a point. Make sure you keep hydrated!!

Yes, I do drink a lot of water... so not sure hydration would be an issue for me. But yes, you can feel unwell if dehydrated.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I too get iron infusions,being investigated by immunologist at present. Like you when due a next dose I too get "hypo" feelings but can test and be at 5's so it's the lack of iron causing it. I have iron infusions every 12-16 weeks. Does make my B.G. rise immediately afterwards,but gradually settles. The feelings as you state so mimic hypo that it's scary......
Wishing you well.....

I'm glad you shared you are having the same issue. It is really scary because I keep thinking it is my sugar all the time, but it isn't. Although on Friday just gone I had several of these dizzy spells and only one of them turned out to be a hypo which I treated. But all the others my sugar was fine. I think it is as you say that my body is just too low with the iron level. It definitely keeps us on our toes doesn't it trying to figure out if we are having a hypo or not. I've gone through more test strips in the last few weeks.